Best SD/SDHC card for Olympus EP1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eVolcre, Jun 28, 2010.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm running into a weird problem here. Picked up a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card. It actually performs slower than my 2GB Class 2 Sandisk. How come?

When I say slower it's completely subjective. I'm evaluating the time it takes from when I take a picture to when it shows up on the screen. It's noticeably slower.

Any particular brands or speeds I should be looking at? I spoke to someone else in a different field who ran field tests on various cards/classes/sizes and she said that for some reason 2 GB cards were faster than the high capacity ones. Doesn't make sense.

eV

2. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

I bought a 32GB Class 6 SDHC and it was slower than my 512mb SD card from perhaps 7-8 years ago >.> - I think some brands are telling fibs...

Any ways, I stopped wasting money on no-name, crappy cards who claim to be SDHC and I now buy:

Sandisk Ultra Class 4 SDHC 8GB.

its very quick! I read somewhere that you need at least a class 4 for HD video recording. On the D90, when I used the crappy 32GB card, it never saved the video because it couldn't save the info fast enough... I was losing a lot of valuable shots.

3. Acsom macrumors regular

I got the 8G Sandisk Extreme III from Adorama, only $40. Plenty fast in my E-P1.

At 3 fps, I don't think it's going to be stressed too much. I just tried it; in LF jpg, I held the shutter down for 30 shots without a choke, and the buffer cleared in 4 seconds. In RAW, it took 16 shots and the buffer cleared in 8.5 seconds. This camera is great, I love it and it's become my preferred box. But it isn't going to stress any SD card speed ratings.

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

So am I doing something wrong? When I take a picture it takes half a second for it to show up on the LCD. How do I shoot faster?

5. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Make sure you have the cam set to continuous shooting mode and you can turn off the auto preview function as well.

Ditto on the Sandisk Ultra Class 4 cards, I dont deal with any other brands. Although, I do recommend the Sandisk Class 6 cards over the 4 for HD video.