Best secondary screen option?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jakerbreaker, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jakerbreaker macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from my 2007 24 inch imac to a new 27 inch i7 fully loaded imac. I was hoping to use my old 24 inch imac as a secondary screen but apparently it is not possible. Because I just spent over $3,000 on the computer I am also not able to blow another $1,000 on an apple LED Screen (as much as I would like to). I am a professional film producer and editor so I need a good quality screen that shows as realistic colors as possible without blowing the bank account. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for anywhere from 24-27 inch screen in 200-300 dollar range. Thanks.

Jake

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Ok, I know you just said all that about not having that many dolla dolla bills (y'all) to spend on the monitor, and I don't want to be "that guy" who goes and suggests the one thing you're avioding... but...

The Cinema display is king. It's really really worth waiting and saving for.

I promise you.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

For $200-300 you just need to buy whatever is out there and probably forget about getting the best you can.

There are so many in that price range and I tell you they nearly all look identical.

Man those SSDs are killing you guys on cost. $2200 for an i7/2GB/1TB. No where near "over $3000".

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

Look for an IPS panel for best color accuracy. Avoid "TN" panels.

NEC has some in your size and price range.

5. nsitaram macrumors newbie

I am in the same position as you. After finding out that the 24" mini-DVI port is only an output port I bought a 23" Dell (1080 resolution) and connected it to my IMAC 27" with a mini-display to HDMI adapter + HDMI to HDMI cable. Works fine! Cost of Dell monitor was $220

6. Macginger macrumors member

Macginger

Dell UltraSharp U2711 - 27"

Cheaper than the :apple: cinema display but uses the same panel as your iMac, well worth a look, good luck

7. jakerbreaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I am debating whether I should just hold off until I have the money to buy apples display or not. Does anyone know if apples display really is the "king of displays" or are there much better displays out there in that price range? Thanks for all the responses.