Best secure delete software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ring macrumors regular

Hi:

I am looking for the most secure software for deleting files.

I do not trust the default "Secure empty trash" because:

- It is a default feature that isn't open source (I'm not saying that the software I am looking for must be open source, I'm just saying that it would be more trustworthy for me)

- There is not enough information surrounding it (I.e, number of rewrites over)

I have been looking at "Shred" in the MAS, but I wanted to consult these epicuber forums before buying/trusting any particular software with something as important as file removal.

2. simsaladimbamba

While the following article refers to disk wiping, the same principles can be applied to Secure Empty Trash or Erase Free Space and its 1-pass, 7-pass and 35-pass options in Disk Utility.
    DiskWiping – One Pass is Enough

3. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Try Permanent Eraser

If it will help you sleep better, you might try Permanent Eraser (shareware free) http://www.edenwaith.com/products/permanent%20eraser/

"Permanent Eraser provides an even stronger level of security by implementing the Gutmann Method. This utility overwrites your data thirty-five times, scrambles the original file name, and truncates the file size to nothing before Permanent Eraser finally unlinks it from the system. Once your data has been erased, it can no longer be read through traditional means."

And after that, should sleep still elude you, I can but suggest you remove your HD and then dissolve it in boiling aqua regia.