Best security lock for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angelica314, Aug 1, 2013.

1. angelica314, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

angelica314 macrumors member

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a lock for my retina Macbook pro, I'm going to college to live in a dorm and I want my macbook to be safe when I go to the bathroom and things like that.

Preferably something under $40-50. Anybody have a suggestion?

Thank you!

2. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

3. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

WHAT?!
    NO

A big no, that isn't even something that should be sold what a gimmick! A thief who really wants your gadget is just going to break the plastic clean off of the edge leaving the macbook pristine without a mark.

Fail.

4. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Ugh, that's what I was thinking, but supposedly it's one of the only companies that makes a lock for the retina.

What could I buy then?

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Just don't leave your Macbook in the position where it could get stolen easily. Carry it to the bathroom if you have to :)

6. NukeIT macrumors regular

insurance and dont fret about it or carry it with you...

7. sofianito, Aug 1, 2013
  8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

above

Also fail, are you serious? Those rubber feet are just lightly glued on.

The only security lock is your brain and what stands between you, and the thief is your wits about you. Why would anyone walk away from their over priced notebooks?

Don't flash it and it wont bring any attention. If they break into your home at least that is what they will take rather than your lives.

Think about it. It is just an over priced object at the end of the day. It is easy to go out and get another one, just work harder and spend less time with your family, and other loved ones, it is worth it right?

9. sofianito, Aug 1, 2013

sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Maclocks + iAlertU or LockDown app could do a good job... It is better than nothing, don't you think so? It is very annoying to take you rMBP with you every time you need to go to the toilets... :D

10. Brandon0448, Aug 1, 2013

Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

11. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I was told Canadians don't lock the door of their house... So if a burglar breaks in, I guess you are allowed to shoot him... :D

12. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Lol, a lot of responses. Thank you.

Well, of course I will be looking after it, but I couldn't possibly take it everywhere with me. It's really bothering me that apple didn't include a kensington lock on this. I guess I could take it to the bathroom, but it won't be pleasant taking it every time, an I plan on obviously going out, am I supposed to take it to the movies and restaurants? That's ridiculous :D !

I would also have to lug around my iPad haha

13. sarthak, Aug 1, 2013

sarthak macrumors 6502

I am also in the same situation looking for a security solution. Most people do not use the Kensington lock port unless you're in School or Work in a specific industry. Besides, the specific dimensional requirements for the locking port would have posed a technical challenge.

The wedge lock fits in with screws onto the original metal base. So unless a person is going to sit there to unscrew each of the four screws with a specific screw driver from the base, it's pretty secure. Plastic cases also screw in but can be cracked and broken off quite easily. The high grade aluminum wedge lock is a "GOOD" solution as it adds bulk to the machine.

There are a couple other things you can try.
    - Such as adding a FIRMWARE PASSWORD (press CMD+R on boot and use Firmware Password Utility), this prevents the system from booting up from a different disk without the password. So if one is to replace the SSD, the system will still be useless.
    - You can also turn on FIREVAULT to encrypt all your files on the SSD. Once turned on, it just works.
    - There also apps such as PREY which are free (or PAID if you have multiple devices or want extra features). See http://preyproject.com for more info...
    - Be sure to enable "FIND MY MAC" in iCloud (system preferences -> iCloud).

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Was there a thread on here or some article online about just this very topic of the frailty of thief proofing your stuff, that if they really wanted to get your stuff they'll just succeed and there is really nothing anyone can do about it? So you get it back after what a year or more because tax payers money went to officials to trace its whereabouts ? It comes back in rough condition or gutted. It may not even come back because some sucker purchased it on some eebayy like store for near nothing for it and didn't think anything about the major scratch marks or dents etc?

If you got something to hide or really important legal and financial things that are sensitive, work or school related what ever, don't keep that stuff on your phone or computer. Of if you do have a lot of sensitive privacy stuff, just know that you've waived your privacy the moment you decided to digitize your life. There is NO SUCH thing now of privacy unless you keep it in your own head and no one else knows about it but you. Once it is in digital format, the sky is the limit as to what these crooks can and will do with all of your information.

Security is a marketing gimmick remember that. You are your best privacy protection, who ever you don't want to get in on your stuff wont because you made it so, no program, no app and no lock will keep anyone who really wants in and KNOWS HOW to get in no matter what, will secure your precious private information etc.

Rest easy that the best protection is your common sense. It doesn't cost anything and it is lighter than an empty molecule.

15. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I came here to double-check there aren't any other better options before purchasing the ”MacBook Pro Security Bracket.” It really does seem to be the best thing out there right now and this review kinda pushed me towards it after a lot of discussion on the Apple boards.

http://scottkelby.com/2013/90-secon...ter-lock-for-your-retina-display-macbook-pro/

Everyone suggesting that you shouldn't let your MPBr out of your sight are correct, however some of us need to leave it unattended during the course of our work.

In my specific case it will be left in a workroom full of other laptops and camera equipment, so any lock at all should help move a casual thief along to an easier target.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Are you going to be in the bathroom for more than 5 minutes? :apple:

17. sarthak macrumors 6502

I can't tell. Does it increase the thickness or height of the rMBP?

18. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Doesn't increase thickness a great deal, but some. I've been using this for 3 months now and it works fairly well. If someone wants to take your MBP, they will. The lock, as with any cable lock is just a deterrent.

As someone stated earlier, the feet are just stuck on and I'm already having check that they're still attached. I'm looking around for another option, might order a replacement foot set for the mac and see if I can find a way to attach them.

Overall, I find it the best option at the moment. Based on the way the lock works it would be nice if Apple looked to use the same lock. It doesn't have the same height requirement as Kingston so a supporting slot would be possible.

19. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

if your want your Macbook totally secure get one of theses babies