Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasc896

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I've been looking around for some security software for my new mac. I'd like one that would cover the main three: firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware. I've been looking at Intego's dual protection package - anyone have any opinions?

Or can anyone recommend any other software?

Thanks

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I've been looking around for some security software for my new mac. I'd like one that would cover the main three: firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware. I've been looking at Intego's dual protection package - anyone have any opinions?

Thanks
Mail has spam filter.
OS X has a firewall.
Macs don't get virus

Problem solved.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Oh, that kind of security. If it ever turns out to be a necessity and not a nuissance on a mac, I'll begin shopping for something that is not Norton.

Presently though, as I have a MacBook, I've invested in a little anti-theft software from Orbicule called Undercover.

lucasc896

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I found that anti-theft software ages ago, but when I got my mac, I completely forgot what it was called and haven't been able to find it since!

Otherwise, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it would be like this, but is it really wise not to use any anti-virus/spyware atall? I thought it was that there aren't many viruses for mac. Is that right?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The only security software you need is iAlertU

Seriously though, i have ClamXav installed but i can't even remeber the last time i used it. OS X's built firewall along with Airport Base Station firewall are enough in the firewall dept.

Again never had to check for viruses and when i do check once in a blue moon it comes up empty. Majority if not all the spyware out there are .exe meaning they won't work on macs so you're safe. Just turn on your firewall in sharing preferences and enjoy.

If really paranoid, download ClamXav otherwise.....

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
I had a feeling it would be like this, but is it really wise not to use any anti-virus/spyware atall? I thought it was that there aren't many viruses for mac. Is that right?

It's like such a small percentage, AV becomes just unnecessary. I mean, if you are transferring a lot of stuff back to Windows users there are some options ClamXAV (http://www.clamxav.com) is free and supposedly pretty good. As for spyware - most of that was built into security holes in Internet Explorer 6.0 - which isn't on the Mac - and Safari/Camino/Opera/FireFox are not vulnerable in the same way. Plus, spyware programmers haven't bothered to start trying to attack Mac or Linux users with hidden programs and whatnot.

So yeah - you're good. I mean, if you do anything with Parallels or Boot Camp, you'll need to use stuff on that side - but otherwise - enjoy not being a target for attackers.

Stucarius

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
Mail has spam filter.
OS X has a firewall.
Macs don't get virus

Problem solved.

That was an uninformed response. Do not take it. Macs as Unix based systems are vulnerable to viruses, spyware and zombie syndromes just as readily as Windows based machines.

The difference is that the installed base of Windows is so much larger that it does not make much sense for Malicious Programmers to focus on Mac. There are in fact viruses for the Mac and Spyware aimed at Macs in the wild right now and as the Mac Revolution continues to gain steam they will get increasing focus from Virus Writers.

btw-I am a Apple certified network engineer and you will be hard pressed to find a bigger Mac advocate.

I can not tell you the best software. Mostly because no one really has a bench for Mac since there are few threats at present. A lot has to do with what company has the resources to really keep on top of Virus and Malware counters measures and definition files.

As much as I hate to say it because I am not fond of the way they work, Norton and Mcafee are the most likely to save you right now when the inevitable Mac specific plague hits. It is expected by all informed industry people sooner than later.

That Macs cannot be targeted effectively by viruses is just a Mac Community myth. Don't find out the hard way.

To the author please do not damage the growing Mac Rev by leaving your Mac Brother and Sisters unprepared and thus angry when they get hit with what they thought could not happen.

"Stucarius"-Your friendly Mac Emperor.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

Thanks

as of now, apple is not being transparent to users about the security informations, every patched comes with no clear information about what security hole it patched. So its hard for any of us to figure out what part of the OS is most dangerous, and what kind of precautions we should take.

that being said, at current stage, OSX is still pretty safe. and as OSX's market share standing at ~5 to 6%, users are pretty safe.

the precaution I would advise to take

1. There is a firewall in OSX by default, like some one mentioned above
2. Firefox has built in phishing website alert
3. Thunderbird has build in phishing website alert, as well as spam filter
4. patching your system whenever informed by system updates (its still not transparent, but better than nothing)
5. turn off "open safe file after downloading" in safari's preference if you are using it.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Oh, that kind of security. If it ever turns out to be a necessity and not a nuissance on a mac, I'll begin shopping for something that is not Norton.

Presently though, as I have a MacBook, I've invested in a little anti-theft software from Orbicule called Undercover.

I'd like to know how good that software is. I've read about that on their page just now and it seems pretty cool but I'm curious if it is a hassle to install. Have you tested it at all?

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
people dont be so panic..he just used to love Norton's messages every 3 sec..and he misses them..-i dont-:rolleyes:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
That was an uninformed response. Do not take it. Macs as Unix based systems are vulnerable to viruses, spyware and zombie syndromes just as readily as Windows based machines.

This is just plain wrong. There are zero MacOS X viruses. There are zero MacOS X spyware. There are zero MacOS X zombie syndromes.

Unix-based systems are not vulnerable just because Windows is. There are very few Unix or Linux viruses, spyware, or zombie syndromes. Windows is well-known to be poorly designed. Unix is well-known to be well-designed. It is the difference in quality of the respective designs that explains the difference in vulnerability to viruses and other malware. The security by obscurity myth has been thoroughly discredited.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, ad infinitum on this forum in previous threads.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no code as complex as an OS is immune to virus, those "absolute zero" should be used with extra precaution. Do not mystify the situation.

maybe some people love to define what a "virus" "spyware" is, but the truth of fact is, users are at risk, no matter you call it a trojan, a virus, or a worm. Apple isn't making security patches for nothing.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I'd like to know how good that software is. I've read about that on their page just now and it seems pretty cool but I'm curious if it is a hassle to install. Have you tested it at all?

It's a very simple install and takes care of everything for you (uninstall is a bit trickier, but not hard). All you will need is a license for it. Because of this program, I learned quite a few things about computer security and theft. Since I installed it, I require a password on startup and to come back from sleep. They go through all that kind of stuff with you and let you know what you can do to keep your data safe if your computer is stolen.

Fortunately I've never had to actually use it. It runs a small process when connected to the internet, and if it ever does get stolen, I have it's ID number stored in a gmail account that's not even referenced on my computer. So I would then email or call Orbicule with this ID, they flag it in their servers and if my computer gets in contact with them then they can begin tracking it. The software will also take screenshots and send them photos from the iSight to aid in tracking the computer.

On top of it all, it's cheap and the developers are quite helpful with any questions you have. I've seen software like LoJack, but that's 50 bucks a year. I guess when it comes to security, you can't put a price on it (to an extent).

On a side note, to all of those who are claiming the Mac doesn't have viruses simply because of the size of the install base: bull. I agree that OS X isn't exactly a high priority, but we've been going for 6 years now problem free. Heck, the iPhone runs OS X and Safari. Wouldn't you think that some enterprising young hacker would love to tap that growing resource? Unlimited internet connection with a full database of phone numbers/contact list to grow from? I'm not saying that the Mac is incapable of getting viruses, and I'm not saying that everyone should let their guard down and be arrogant. But the operating system is inherently more secure by design. At this point I can no compelling reason to pay for an annual service that slows down all the processes of your computer on the Mac. Keep smart about files you download and open.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
no code as complex as an OS is immune to virus, those "absolute zero" should be used with extra precaution. Do not mystify the situation.

maybe some people love to define what a "virus" "spyware" is, but the truth of fact is, users are at risk, no matter you call it a trojan, a virus, or a worm. Apple isn't making security patches for nothing.

Agreed - just because there is zero virus's, doesn't mean there isn't a potential for them.

However, I do think that writing a virus for a Mac that has a big impact is a lot harder than writing one that has a big impact on Windows machines. I recently got a virus on my Parallel's Windows XP. Opened a .exe that I thought was for something else, and boom XP kept freezing, really really slow. Luckily I had taken an image of Parallel's and could just copy and paste instead of reinstalling XP again.

I'm not a Unix expert (made my comments based around info I've read) but I think I'm right in saying that it is a lot more secure than the likes of Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.