Best series 2 option for swimming

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scottpat78, Sep 7, 2016.

1. scottpat78 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have an original watch, SS 42mm which I've never used for swimming.

I'm curious if there is a benefit / difference between aluminium & SS options on the series 2 for serious swimmers?

Obviously there is a big price difference, and I'm the UK so they have jumped quite a bit too.

I'm swimming 4/5 times a week and doing 3.5km a swim. The weeks I do a 5th swim this is normally in open water.

Definitely going for a series 2 but wondering if there is a better option for swimmers, leaving price to one side?

Thanks in advance.

2. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I am also interested in the Series 2 for swimming purposes. I'd rather purchase the stainless steel Apple Watch (I have a SG aluminum one now), as I think it looks more upscale, but am hesitant to do so.

I think for swimmers, the increased weight of the stainless steel watches might make it uncomfortable for workouts (possibly for running as well).

Can anyone comment on general weight differences between the 2? Does anyone workout with their stainless steel watches, and if so do you ever wish the watch was lighter? Does it make your workout uncomfortable in anyway?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I swim with my ss aw without any issues so I can't see an issue with either of the new models

4. profets macrumors 601

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the SS over the aluminum. I've done a lot of running with older Garmin and TomTom watches, and using the SS Apple Watch for running felt amazing compared to the previous watches I was using - much more comfortable, less weight. When I did some runs with one watch on each wrist the Apple Watch was so comfortable that I almost didn't realize it was on compared to the TomTom on my other wrist.

I've also used the SS watch for a lot of swimming. The weight is a non-issue.

5. scottpat78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going for a series 2 aluminium space great with black band. Roll on the 16th!

6. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Really glad to hear you say the weight of the SS is a non issue for swims, as I've already preordered the SS with white sport band!