best set up for airport time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vix2000, Aug 23, 2013.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

my ATC is plugged in and added to the network wirelessly. Not sure where to go from here???

The idea was to partition into 2x 1tb drives, one for time machine, one to use as hd for my mba. I then read that it can't be partitioned, then found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg9HUEFaxKY which suggests you can, so even more confused now.

After even more hours reading it said that it would be better to use my linkstation live, hardwired to my router, (can that be partitioned?) to move all my files, itunes, photos to and to use the ATC to back up both the mba and linkstation. And would i have to hardwire it into the ATC?

Not being the most tech savvy person, as you can see, I know what I want to do but not the best or most efficient way to achieve it. I was hoping for some more educated suggestions or advice to help. Thanks.

2. ColdCase, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

1TB USB drives are pretty cheap today. Perhaps buy one and connect it to the ATC USB port. Use the ATC internal drive for TM backups and the external for your MBA (use the AP utility to tell the ATC to share it).

Now, do you want/need the data on that external USB drive backed up? Or under any of the possible architectures, do you need the MBA data stored external to the MBA backed up or protected from a disk crash? That may be the hard part but there are several ways to do this.