Best set-up for Linksys and AEBS routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brayhite, May 26, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I've relied solely on my AEBS to create my wireless network, and it's done so quite well for the most part. However, a friend returned a Linksys router I let him use and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can use it to my benefit in addition to my AEBS?

The Linksys router is old, and it can't run in client mode, so it'd have to be connected directly to the modem. The particular set-up I was curious about would be having the Linksys router plugged in directly, and using the AEBS somewhere on the other side of the house in client mode to extend and improve wireless connectivity? Is this possible? I also want to use WPA 2 security, which the Linksys isn't capable of, so I was wondering which router's security settings trumps the other?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can use the AEBS to extend the wireless network created by the Linksys.
    Don't know the answer to the security question but believe the AEBS will adopt the wireless security of the Linksys since it is extending the network.

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, so basically the Linksys router is useless in this situation?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If it's a much older one, it's probably not N-capable. The past couple of AEBS have been, so the addition of the slow G (or B? *shudder) to the network regardless of the method would slow things down immensely.