Best set-up to restrict home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PeterJ72, Mar 6, 2012.

1. PeterJ72 macrumors newbie

This may sound slightly odd, but here goes. :) I want to stop myself from being able to access sites like Facebook full-time from home, and the internet completely at set times of the day. I find that I waste too much time surfing late at night, so go to sleep later than is helpful (for getting a good start the next day).
    My thought was to get either an Airport Express or Extreme, and get a friend to make lock-down the settings through Parental Controls on the Airport app on their iPhone (rather than on my Mac or iPhone, which I could obviously change). That would handle the access time restrictions - the blocked sites could be handled with an OpenDNS account. Would it be possible to do this with an Airport Express or would I need the Extreme? Any problems I'm not thinking of?
    And yes, in an ideal world I'd be able to discipline myself, but I'd rather save my willpower for other challenges! :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Netgears high end routers have a block sites scheduler.

3. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just read up on the NetGear solution. Whilst powerful, it doesn't let me block specific sites, only categories. That's a definite requirement.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Set your energy saver setting to put the computer to sleep or shut it down at a certain time?

Or set an alert or alarm that reminds you to stop surfing in the evening?

Or put a timer on the cable or DSL modem or router you use that cycles the power off at a certain time...clicks back on in the morning.

I think you can use 'parental settings' to block access to certain sites if I am not mistaken...check preferences within the browser or within your router perhaps?

Or just have some self control?

5. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, but as I wrote, I'm looking for an automatic solution. As for having self-control, we've got limited reserves - better to save it for more important things. Read 'Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength' if you'd like more info on the research for this.
    Anyway, can anyone answer my original question about using the Express vs. the Extreme?

6. jkeekij macrumors regular

Look at the Cisco WRVS4400N, and even though discontinued the RVS4000 is a pretty powerful product that would meet your needs and could be picked up pretty cheap. I would look at these options over the Apple products based on your needs.

7. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I can get the CISCO RVS4000 here (Czech Republic), although its the same price as the Airport Extreme. With the AE I can at least attach an external hard disk, which would be useful considering I only have 128GB on my MBA, and therefore run iTunes externally. Am I not going to be able to achieve my aim with the Apple routers?

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Actually, most of the solutions I did provide are automatic ones.:rolleyes:

9. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I meant to say automatic solutions that can't be easily changed, as I wrote in my first post in this thread. :rolleyes:

10. jkeekij macrumors regular

The RVS4000 is pure router/firewall/security device, no wireless built in. You can hang your Airport Extreme off of there and still have access to the USB port for an external hard disk and have wireless access. I have mine setup this exact way and it works flawlessly. The Cisco has a ton more features than the Airport and would be a better choice for locking the network down like you want. You can get the configuration done and get the "friend" to set an access password to the router so no changes can be made.

11. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution - will get on to it tomorrow. I also see that Cisco/Linksys sell a router (the E3200) that allows a USB drive to be attached to it for about the same price. With that I wouldn't need to get the Extreme.

12. jkeekij macrumors regular

No experience with that model, so just make sure it has everything you need. I just see parentl controls listed, so it may not have individual site blocking.

13. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll make sure I check. If in doubt I'll get the set-up you suggested - just keeping an eye on spending with an upgrade of my iPad looming. :) Thanks for your help.