Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Honer

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
Hello all,
I’m just curious what is the best way to track a kettlebell workout on the Apple Watch. I prefer to use the native workout app but will take any suggestions. I was stoked when OS5 gave me a dedicating Himing workout setting, the wife and I “Hike the Whites” all the time.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Hello all,
I’m just curious what is the best way to track a kettlebell workout on the Apple Watch. I prefer to use the native workout app but will take any suggestions. I was stoked when OS5 gave me a dedicating Himing workout setting, the wife and I “Hike the Whites” all the time.
I assume strength training would be the. Wet option but if your workout is more high intensity and shorter breaks than HIIT.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Hello all,
I use “Other: Strength Training” when I lift.
Generally, this and other watches do a not so great job of tracking lifting because the watch doesn’t know how much you’re lifting and how to calculate that. We would need a new algo, field research and smart weights that talk to the watch for that.

Reactions: BlackBun and tgara

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Is kettlebell workout a weight lift? If it is, I’d recommend Strong which can sync with Apple Health.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
I use other -- strength training.

I switch my watch back and forth when doing kettlebell snatches, my favorite kettlebell exercise. I guess I could turn the face around but I would ding up the catch.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I use gymaholic for weight lifting, mainly because I like the rest timer between intervals and it is relatively easy to track reps and also change or edit the sets. But I don't think any lifting app for the watch is particularly easy to change the reps or weights or set up new lifts; so they all have compromises.

If by kettlebells you are doing kettlebell swings, I have hunted for an app that would count the reps automatically, mostly unsuccessfully. Once I am trying to count 15+ reps, it is easy to lose track; it would be nice to have the watch count 25+ reps when doing swings. So I have experimented with Fitcounter for this, and it sometimes works really well, and sometimes it seems to either not count most reps and/or resets to default settings. So I still need to figure that out and/or submit a bug report. It seems like a kettlebell swing would be such an unique and obvious motion the watch's sensors should be able to track that. But not yet.

By hiking the whites do you mean hiking in the whites or is that an indoor workout or something? If you hike in the mountains, I and many others here really like Workoutdoors so I would definitely use that over the built in app for hiking. I have other altimeter apps that I do use and like, but I will probably end up using workoutdoors most of the time, since that has activity tracking, elevation, and a map all in one.

Reactions: cfc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.