Best setting for smcFanControl if you run many heavy applications same time.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmania82, Jul 18, 2009.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

Hi Friends,

just yesterday I received my dream mbp :) I use it for web design, development, i run Coda, MAMP, LAst.fm,Tweetie, firefox, safari, opera, adium, photoshop and few more apps at same time, I feel kind of high heating on left part of my mbp.

I instealled few smcFanControl, temp goes up to 80-85C when I run these softwares :/ how can I control these heating? what is the best smcFanControl setting for me? or do you recommend any other app?

here is my current smcFanControl Settings:
    [​IMG]

I appreciate your advices! I dont wanna burn my brand new dream mbp :(

Thanks a lot.

in case of, here is the spec of my mbp:
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.80GHz - 6MB Level 2 cache
    * Memory: 4GB DDR3
    * Hard Drive: 500GB (5400 RPM)
    * Matrix: 17 "1920x1200 widescreen display (AntiGlare)
    * Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB GeForce 9400M +

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have iStat installed? If you do, would you please post a pic of it too. I'd like to know what is so hot in your MBP. Power supply can get very hot (75c in my iMac quite often) but HD and CPU are way under 50c

3. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

iStat:
    [​IMG]

actually at the moment, I didn't have big photoshop files opened. but i hope screen shoot is still going to mean something to you.

Also heating is going up especially at the moment I'm working like exporting a photoshop file, or working on Coda... obviously I could not run these programmes at the moment while taking screen shot for iStat.

Thanks!!

4. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Whenever I have my power supply plugged in I have set SMC to 3200rpm, it helps keeps things in the 50ish range when doing alot of tasks.

5. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

smcFanControl comes with two settings: "Default" and "Higher RPM", I believe. When you see the temp increase dramatically, just switch it over to the latter setting and watch your fan speed shoot up.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Those are OK, I think. CPU, of course gets hot when it's under load but it's normal. I would put something like 3000rpm for both fans, something which doesn't annoy you. You don't want it to sound like an airplane, huh? Aluminum heats up easily, so it can feel hot but innards isn't.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I keep mine around 3000-3500. Keeps it around 125*F or 52* for you Celsius people.

8. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

I made both Left-Right fans 3100. I will keep it like that in Default. do you think other settings like "autoapply favourite when... " are fine?

and when I run such high apps same time, I will try Higher RPM (@isaaclimdc) to see what is gonna happen :)

thanks....

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, other settings are fine. Congratulations again!

10. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes maybe thats the reason why I worried :) when I put my hands on case to write my codes, I feel the heating under my left hand, i mean really hot sometimes, and i worried about what is happeing inside with this heat?! :) any damage maybe?!

Also, I'm pretty busy with projects nowadays, I need to run laptop for looooong hours even up to 20hours a day. I hope these things are not couse any problem.

11. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

WOW! I love this forum and all you friendly guys! have all you been sent by God to help us with no expecting anything back!

:)

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get one of those cooling pads, they help a lot. Here is one.

13. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes thats what I was seriously considering! I will get one. it is also very good for me about comfort. I cant sit on chair all day and night when I need to work really hard.

here is what i was considering at;
    http://www.comfydesk.com.tr/kullanimalanlari

with extra fan on

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Looks nice. Remember that your MBP is 17" and some are only made for 15" so check that before buying :)

15. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes yes I will make sure about 17'' size :) thanks

what is the heating level that I should start worrying? 80C, 90C?

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It depends on component. HD should be under 60C but I try to keep it under 50C to make it last longer. CPU, hmm, hard to say. Mine gets about 65C when I'm doing something heavy so keep it under 80C and you're safe

17. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

mine gets about 75-80 when I'm doing something heavy. so I should be careful in general. Thanks for advises... I leave the rest to smcFanControl :)

18. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'm going to check this out. Just got a 13" mbp and handbrake alone got it to 216 degrees F on cpu a. Fans stayed at 2000 rpm until it hit 212. Would have liked to see the fans rev up a little sooner than that.

19. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

since I've made the settings according to my topic, I have great results :) I run same hard applications (even more) and temperature is about 45-50 :) it was over 80 before :) and I dont hear any fan noise...

20. plg99 macrumors newbie

left/right

mine doesnt show left or right fans but has ODD, HDD and CPU. what is the best rpm for these?