Best Settings for Editing m2v/mpeg files from DVD in FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cmcclure16, Jun 7, 2008.

1. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

I have a few various homemade DVDs that I want to edit together to make one nicely put together DVD. Most of my files are in m2v files ripped directly from the DVDs (audio was demuxed... going to add new audio) with a few mpeg2 files that were not on the DVDs and some text and images that I would like to include. I realize that there will be some quality loss, but I want to preserve it as much as possible. In a previous project I did involving some mpeg files, the output was very blurry and my included text in that one looked like crap.

So what is the best Sequence/Project settings for doing this and maintaing as much quality as possible? Also what is the best export option to get it back to DVD compatible files? I know to use Compressor, but what are the settings to export to Compressor?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Don't use the ripped files. Go back to the DVDs and use MPEG Streamclip to convert the DVD's VOB files into the format/codec that will exactly match your FCP Sequence settings. Once in FCP, you can delete any unwanted audio or video segments and add the new stuff.

To determine what you're Sequence settings should be, you'll need to know what the aspect ratio of the DVD footage is - you already know it is standard definition. For example, if the footage from the DVD is 4:3, then in FCP use DV NTSC (or PAL), 48khz, 16 bit. But if the footage is 16:9, you'll need to check the FCP Sequence as anamorphic.

Depends on the finished length of the program.

The majority of the quality loss comes from the fact you're using highly compressed DVD footage as a source.

-DH

3. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

So I should use MPEG Streamclip and convert to NTSC DV file then?

My footage is a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 but I want to output to be 4:3.

Will probably be around 30 minutes or less.

In previous experience, when using NTSC DV as Sequence settings, no matter what I used to export out, the video was very blurry, especially when it came to text and images. Anything I can do about that?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Try using DV50 if you have enough hard drive space. It's twice the bitrate of DV and 4:2:2 color sampling (instead of 4:1:1). DV50 is a great codec.

5. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular