Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piepertim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
I am in the process of converting all of my tv shows and movies to m4v's for my AppleTV 2.

Speed of conversion and file size aside... what should I put the settings as to achieve the best picture quality with all of my conversions.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I agree with the last poster, use the most recent nightly build and then use the AppleTV 2 preset.

Also, if you are a Mac user, take a look at this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

This is the system that I have used to rip and encode my movie collection. It requires a little bit of tech savvy but not much to be honest and if you need any help then just ask.

One of the really nice things about this system of scripts is that you can set it up to produce two encodes, one high resolution for the AppleTV 2 and a lower definition copy for iPhone/iPod use.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
I am in the process of converting all of my tv shows and movies to m4v's for my AppleTV 2.

Speed of conversion and file size aside... what should I put the settings as to achieve the best picture quality with all of my conversions.

I don't even see the option of .m4v on HandBrake. The only option I see is .mp4. Am I missing something?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't even see the option of .m4v on HandBrake. The only option I see is .mp4. Am I missing something?

ry05f.png

It is in the General tab of the Handbrake preferences. See screen cap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.