Best settings for HL2 Ep. 1?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gman901, May 4, 2009.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I was playing a little HL2 ep. 1 last night and noticed my frame rate was bad with the resolution at 1280*800 and advanced settings to recommended. I have the 13" aluminum MacBook with 2.4 c2d and 4 gb of Crucial ram. The frame rate was better at 960*600. I would have thought this game would play at the top settings.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Video games depend on graphics card.

Discreet graphics card > integrated graphics card

MacBook had integrated graphics card which means it can play at lower resolutions only. Look up benchmarks next time if it's important.

3. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

What graphics do you have? I'm on a 2.0 unibody and it's playing fine at 1280x800 with everything at "recommended" settings and reflections turned up to full and it's playing fine (only got in a few chapters though).

4. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the integrated 9400m. I am going to test it out again today, maybe my results will be better. The only change I made was upgrading my forceware drivers to the latest version from the Nvidia website and upgrading to 4 GB of ram from Crucial. I seem to be getting better frame rates from my other games like Fallout 3 and Lost Planet.

5. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

sounds like a HL2 issue more then your macbook.

the 9400M is more then sufficient to play HL2.

all settings on max in native resolution? doubtful!

but on some slightly held back settings / slightly smaller resolution? should work fine in the 40-60FPS area!

6. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, it worked perfectly when I ran the game today at 1280*800 and the High settings. The frame rate was smooth and the graphics were sharp. I guess I just needed to reboot my MacBook or maybe just relaunching the game fixed my issue.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

goodie. I was gonna say even Episode 2 which is a big step up (in my opinion) on graphics runs at native resolution with settings on high on my 2.0 MB. I hope you have plans to play episode 2 after 1... very very good.

8. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I plan on getting to episode 2... but I am not sure how many hours I'll get from Episode 1... Steam says there is another episode, but it doesn't look like it is ready for download yet. I love the Macbook for gaming; it pretty much fits the bill on all the games I have played, i.e. Fallout 3 (still playing), Mirror's Edge, Quake 4, Lost Planet, Dead Space (this game looks great - better than my PS3 version), Turok and Guitar Hero 3. I have a bunch of games that I haven't tried out yet, like GOW, Quake enemy territory and Fear (never played this one). I just never have the time to get to all of these due to work and family. I actually gave up WOW because it took time from other games. I think I like playing on my Macbook better than my PS3 for most 1st person shooters.:D

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I've turned that way too. I've sold a lot of my PS3 FPS games for PC ones including CoD: 4 & WaW and Fallout 3. The Orange Box on PC all the way though =)