Best settings for iMovie export to PS3/Popcorn Hour

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lapino, Jun 7, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

What are the best settings to output movies from my Canon HF200, preserving 1920x1080 resolution, so I can playback the files on my PS3 and/or Popcorn Hour? I tried quicktime with h264, but encoding a 15min file takes hours.

2. BullBoyKennels macrumors member

What file extension does your camera record in, cause it should already be in a extension that the PS3 can play since it records in MPEG4 AVC.

3. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

yes I know that, but I almost always edit the movies, putting some clips together, add titles and effects etc. So I want to know what's the best setting to output it back to a playable format. I think MP4 with h264 encoding is best, but this takes ages to encode, so maybe there's a better way?

4. BullBoyKennels macrumors member

Well due to how picky the PS3 media format is, MP4 avc h.264 is the way to go, but like you said encode times can get mad crazy. Unlike the xbox than can handle the same codec but as .mov extension.

Oh btw if you do encode your video with those settings as a .mov & have QT Pro you can do a pass thru and just change the extension to .mp4