Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hi,
My dad wants to put some video on his website. He hired a video guy to shoot the video but is editing it himself to cut costs. He has Final Cut Pro HD 4.5. The editing went fine but now his 12minute clip is over 2 gigabytes (not ideal for posting to the web...
Is there a setting in Final Cut that will lead to a more manageable file size or does this have to be done in another app?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2006
Export as a QuickTime Movie, without any compression. Then open it in QuickTime Pro and select: Export For Web.

It should give you 3-4 files. The video itself, an image preview and the code to upload it to a website. Keep in mind this method requieres users that want to see the video to have QuickTime.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I suggest you don't place it as a quicktime file. Many (windows) people have problems with quicktime. I just tried (I have a 3.0 Ghz 2GB iMac) to watch a quicktime movie, but it loads slow etc. And windows users will have even more problems. So I suggest you convert your movie to flash. I bet there is a free problem for that. Maybe even from adobe. If not, you can upload it to youtube, download it again from youtube, and upload it to your own site (if you want deleting the file on youtube).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.