Best Settings to convert mpeg2 to file editing for Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SuperPerri101, Apr 29, 2010.

1. SuperPerri101 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

My camcorder is Sony DCR-SR68 HDD and records videos in MPEG2, but I cannot use them to editing in Final Cut.
    I used compressor to convert the files into mov format, but the quality is terrible, and I need best quality for professional video. I have to make a DVD that looks great!

What should I do? what codec should I use? the best quality settings...

thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What resolution has the source video?

What settings have you tried?

If HD, try the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) with the appropriate resolution and frame rate, if SD, try DV or AIC with the appropriate resolution and frame rate.

Have you taken a look at the manual of FCP, as it explains quite a lot on what settings it likes and what not.

3. SuperPerri101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Standard Resolution. I red the manual but I think there's something I'm not doing right with the settings. I'm about to lose it, I have to make this DVD right and quickly.

I used H264, JPG1000, 8 bit without compressor, but I haven't used DV or AIC what settings are appropriate for resolution and frame rate?

Can you help me?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't use H264, it is not meant for editing.

Either use DV or AIC with .mov as a format. The frame rate and resolution depends on the source, if it is NTSC or PAL, and if it is 4:3 or 16:9.

Appendix C, page 1929 of the Final Cut Pro 7 User Manual PDF explains it in more detail.

5. SuperPerri101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, There's a few options.

AIC HD 1080i
    AIC HD 1080p
    AIC HD 720p24
    Appel Intermediate Codes (AIC)

Ahhh there's so many kinds of codecs and formats!!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use MPEG Streamclip to convert to AIC or DV encoded .mov files.

Find out what broadcast format the source has (NTSC or PAL) and use that for the output settings. There is a DVCPro/DV-NTSC and a DV-PAL setting. That takes care of the frame rate and resolution, also make sure what aspect ratio the source has (4:3 or 16:9) and set that too.

Then in FCP set the Sequence Settings appropriately and you should be done.

I'm off to bed now, so I won't be able to answer for the next third of a day, but maybe Lethal or Keith or bigboss or spice weasel or matteusclement might be able to answer if you have any more immediate questions.

Be sure to also use MRoogle as the question on how to use MPEG-2 encoded video in FCP comes up once in a while.

7. SuperPerri101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for everything and your time! nice night!