Best Setup - (2) AEBS + (2) AE (Both AEBS different models?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OverSpun, May 29, 2011.

1. OverSpun, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

At the moment, I have the current setup-

(AEBS)
    (Attached to the cable modem) ---
    - (AEBS #1) MC340LL/A A1354 802.11a/b/g/Final N

(Notes:) (Version 7.5.2)
    "AirPort utility found an Airport Extreme (Simulateous Dual Band II)"

<Connected VIA Ethernet>

I have the older AEBS-
    1 (AEBS #2) MB763LL/A A1301 802.11a/b/g/Draft N

(Notes:) (Version 7.5.2)
    "Airport Utility found an Airport Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band)"

*Both AEBS I turned both on with 802.11n only (5GHz) - 802.11b/g/n* (It sounded good, but I could be wrong with that choice)

*I honestly cannot figure what is causing the issues since it doesnt really give me much info to figure it... I restored everything to default and, I cant figure it.*

Is there an issue somehow connecting those 2 AEBS with being different models, since I noticed one of them says "Dual-Band II" and the other only says "Dual-Band".

*Both AEBS have green lights on, and they still work... but the faults still show in utility..*

(Airport Expresses)
    - (2) MB321LL/A A126x 802.11a/b/g/Draft N (They are the exact same models) - I am using those both extending the network VIA wireless without the option using ethernet with those 2 too far.

Notes:
    (AE #1 & #2) (Version 7.5.2)
    "Airport Utility Found an Airport Extreme w/ 802.11n"

*Both have green lights on, but it still has the faults in utility*

I am basically attempting to making the network as fast as possible and of course as far I can connect to the wireless. I have messed around with all the settings for a while.

Thanks in advance if anyone could point me somewhere setting up this whole setup since I can't seem to get it working properly. :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Sorry your post lost me, what exactly is the issue? For starters, there's nothing wrong with only one of your AEBS showing as II, as it is a newer model than the other unit you have, and that's how it is categorized by Apple.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I was pretty confused, myself, until you posted and pointed at a few parts of my post.

That actually helps me now that apple calls( Dual Band I , Dual Band II) on the top. I thought there was part of a fault...

Besides with that point- I'm trying to figure setting up all 4 airports with the best settings on it all.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Over what area are you trying to cover, as you have a lot of gear. How far is the 2nd airport from the first?

I'd just leave the main airport hardwired and move the 2nd some distance away and use it as a wireless bridge. Setup 2 in bridge mode to extend the wireless network provided by the main unit. Unless you have a crazy structure, this should be pretty effective.

5. OverSpun, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have a fairly large area to cover, so I'm trying to cover most of it with the express airports since the internet speed seems to be pretty slow if I'm doing this wrong.

I have about ~250-300 feet between AEBS #1 & AEBS#2, but they are on different floors since I couldnt connect to the AEBS#1 too far until adding this #2.

I have been having 28-32MB/s on tests but I'm only hitting 20mb/s now. I have honestly left most of the options in Automatic besides the 'Radio Mode' to ' 802.11n (5ghz) - 802.11b/g/n after I tried the open menu that popped open.

I do have both AEBS set as "Create a Wireless Network", but I thought the AEBS #2 needed a different setup. I couldn't seem to find the bridge-mode on it, though. I think I browsed every single pane, and I may be missing it now playing with it for days whenever I have time.

edit:
    Being 3 feet from the AEBS #2 and I receive this-

[​IMG]