Best setup for a MB, PC notebook, and a printer with DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slobizman, Jul 4, 2008.

1. slobizman macrumors member

My daughter is getting a new house with a roommate. She has a Macbook and the roommate has a PC notebook. I'm getting DSL installed. They'd like to share one printer.

My question is, what would be the best setup in terms of router/Inernet Access Point, sharing the printer?

I'm a little confused if I should buy an Wireless Router, or if I should buy a regular router and connect an Airport Extreme or Airport Express to it? Or something else? I know that both a PC and a Mac can connect to either setup's WiFi, but which will be better for getting both networked so that they can share the printer (a USB connection to something).

I guess if need be, they can just physically connect the printer to their computers with a USB when need be.

They are college freshmen on a budget. :)

2. chscag macrumors 68000

The Airport Express ($99.00 from Apple) should work fine for both your daughter's Mac and her friend's PC. It also has a USB out port for connecting a printer or other device. No need to buy an additional router.

The Airport Express is a plug and play router - very easy to setup. My son has one in his upstairs family room which provides wireless networking for his two Macs and one PC all scattered throughout his home.

Regards.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I concur with the Airport Express.

As already stated, they can share a wireless internet connection and share a printer via USB.

If they connect a pair of powered speakers or a stereo to the Airport Express, they can stream music via iTunes which would be a convenient way to listen to music in their dorm room.

4. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

A couple further questions

So, I still obviously need a cable modem, right? I buy a cheap one of those (maybe $50-75?) and connect the Express to it?

Any tricks to getting both the Mac and PC to see the printer? Do they have to be on the same network? Or do they just both see it right out of the box?

Thanks!

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

If you are getting DSL installed it will come with a DSL Modem which you connect to the Air Port. If you get Cable Internet it will come with a Cable Modem, which gets connected to the Airport.

The Printer will have drivers to install and you'll be fine.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just to add:

- The modem (Cable or DSL in this case) will be connected to the Airport Express via LAN/Ethernet/Cat 5 cable which usually comes with the Cable/DSL modem.

- The printer will be connected to the Airport Express via USB.

- The Mac and PC laptops will be connected to the Airport Express via WiFi.

- The Airport Express becomes the router (traffic cop) for everything connected to the Airport Express.

- To print from the PC or Mac, they will send the print info to the Airport Express via WiFi. Then the Airport Express will route this information to the printer via the USB connection.