Best setup for Final Cut Pro / Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JuiceyJuice, Nov 3, 2010.

1. JuiceyJuice macrumors newbie

Looking for some advice. This may have been asked before, but not under these circumstances.

I am going to start getting a little into film editing (and the film industry in general). I currently have a mid-2007 black macbook (2.14 GHz C2D, upgraded to 2GB RAM) and I want to get started on Final Cut Pro.

I'm guessing I will need to upgrade to a MBP or iMAC for this, so I just had a few questions. I am debating on getting one now (MBP) or waiting for the next refresh (want it but don't necessarily NEED it right no). But between this time, will my current black macbook setup support FCP, or will it run unbelievably slow? Or should I just continue with iMovie for now ('08)?

Also, I will be moving out to Los Angeles from Philadelphia at the end of next summer to start working in film, most likely production assistant work at first (which a lot of times requires you to have your own laptop). If I didn't think I would need something portable I would definately go with an iMAC, but I don't think that is the case, especially with a big move coming.

Any advice on what to do, what to wait for, and what type of seteup would be best for FCP? Also, any advice for the Los Angeles move would be appreciated as well!

Also, I'm using a Canon HV40 currently, connecting with a firewire. (Getting a JAG35SE Depth of Field adapter next week). Not sure if any of that will change any answers.

Thanks!

2. Av1o3 macrumors member

I think your best option would be to get an MBP

From what i've heard, you can't install final cut on the older macbooks at all because the installer won't let you. If I were you i'd just get a the 15' or 17' MBP with i5 or i7 processor and then get an external display. Those MBPs can perform as well or pretty close as some of the older Mac Pros from what I remember.

3. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Maybe keep the old macbook for throwing around on the set, and an iMac to edit with at home/apartment? Anything can happen on set, believe me. How much editing are you going to do on a set, anyway? I say none. Take the footage home and work in peace with your powerful new iMac. Best of both worlds.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Yeah if you can get by with your MacBook until you get out west go for it. Then get a nice iMac to do all the heavy lifting in FCP. Or if you can afford it, get a MBP until you're settled and then add that iMac too.

But the Macbook you have, if it will run FCP, it will be rather slow.