Best Setup for me and PS3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by downingp, May 2, 2009.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I have been having some problems streaming mkv files from my iMac to my PS3 using PS3 media server.
    My current all wireless setup is: iMac -> Airport extreme -> PS3. For internet I am using a cable modem.
    Next week I am going to be moving into a new home and so I have an opportunity to, hopefully, improve my network. What would be the best way to setup my network with a combination of a wired and wireless network?

Option 1:
    Cable modem -> Airport extreme -> Hooked directly to iMac via ethernet -> stream wirelessly to PS3

Option 2:
    Cable modem ->Airport extreme -> hooked directly to PS3 via ethernet -> iMac using wireless network

Thanks for your help. Let me know if I need to explain anything any better.

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i would say option two would be better. PS3 only supports B/G wifi while your iMac should have N wifi depending on how new it is. My PS3 is also just a bit shaky as far as wifi goes(random signal drops, cannot connect)

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How would I setup the Airport Extreme to do a wireless and a wired connection?

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

Just perform the setup with the airport utility in your utilities folder. If you already have a wireless setup then all you have to do is plug in the ethernet cable and it should automatically work