best setup for storing and streaming iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bangkok, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bangkok macrumors newbie

I am very confused: Mac Mini, a good-branded external hard drive or Time Capsule?

I am trying to figure out the best place to store my huge iTunes library of music so I can continue to stream it (play it) over my Apple TV (and the smaller speakers I’ve hooked up); later through high quality stereo equipment once I buy a new amplifier that has wireless capabilities and play through current larger speakers.

Right now the music is stored on my new iMac and the iTunes library appears on my TV for me to click and play.But I will soon need to get this growing library file off my new iMac; I’m uploading some 400 CDs at Lossloss level.

But which is best and why? Mac Mini, a good branded hard drive or Time Capsule? And if you suggest Mac Mini, should I also buy Airport Express?

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The best home example that can greatly add to your network would be something like a NAS from Synology and run many other services also.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, a NAS system or Thunderbolt unit is your best bet here...Time Capsule isn't designed for, nor will it stream your iTunes library..it's there for backups.

Any decent enclosure and a fast 7200 HDD USB 3 based will also do the job well.

4. bangkok thread starter macrumors newbie

Nsa

Thanks to both of you; that really helps and save some loot. Much appreciated.