Best Setup for the Situation with MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LtRammstein, Aug 4, 2008.

1. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

MacRumors Community, I need help deciding what accessories I need for my next computer purchase.

I am getting a baseline MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 15", Anti-glare) for my senior year in college. In one of my engineering courses I am going to be programming in .NET (I know, but to defeat the enemy, one must understand the enemy). I know the MBP will handle Vista fine (I'll upgrade RAM to 4 GB later).

I am having a friend help me build a file server and media server and an OpenBSD Gateway. (He wants to have us share VPN accessing for the files and media), and I would like it because I plan on not being in my apartment much (thus the laptop for school work). My current iMac is mainly going to be my iPhone development (my iPod Touch is of course attached to this), and torrent box, (I'll probably re-install XP on it for CSS gaming).

When I am in my apartment not working I'll be using the MBP as a way to watch TV. It'll be hooked up to my Sony Bravia via DVI to HDMI or DVI to Component (if it exists). I don't plan on having cable TV in the apartment (for one, it's expensive on top of a 15 Mb/s line), and I like watching shows and things of that nature I torrent.

Now, if I want to be creative, I do plan on using the Bravia as a main monitor when I program for .NET or as a 2nd monitor for TV purposes while I write up lab reports.

Here's the issue:

Do I go with Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse (for compatibility reasons) or do I choose 3rd party keyboard and mouse (because they cheaper)? Also, would it be easier to use my iMac as a wireless bridge (as I currently have setup for the iPod Touch) or do I go with an Airport Express? I am also open to finding a proper job for my iMac and servers/gateway.

I'm also open to to any other suggests to my setup. If you want, I can post pictures of the setup (when complete).

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All brand name mouse are compatible. (MS hardware likes to want you install MS drivers which will break some functions of competitor devices though so don't install MS drivers).

As in Apple Keyboard, most users like them. If you don't like the new version, you can buy the older version.

You get have Airport Express or Airport Extreme because looks like you'll be booting your iMac into different OS.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Everything you've claimed you want to do will be easier to do on a Windows only machine. Particularly the media parts - Windows Vista's media center is absolutely awesome and networks well with Xbox 360, if you've got one of those.

As for the mouse and keyboard, go with the Apple keyboard as it's the best keyboard ever but avoid the Apple Mighty Mouse as it really is truly awful.

4. LtRammstein thread starter macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

My friend is a die-hard PC user (owns his own technology company on building computers). He'll have a good idea on what kind of setup I'll need for the file and media servers.

I'll look into the Apple Wireless Keyboard and see if I can find a wireless mouse that allows me to use the built-in bluetooth and not a dongle. I might convince my dad to let me take his old Airport Express...