Best Setup to Run Multiple Displays on 11" MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nathantro, Aug 11, 2014.

1. nathantro macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm planning to setup a work station with multiple monitors / displays and plug them into my 11" MacBook Air (purchased in 2011).

Can anyone let me know what the required and / or best equipment is to make this happen?

Also, I've heard that there are potentially issues running more than 1 external monitor due to the older model not having a good enough graphics card / processor to support a 2nd one. Can anyone confirm / deny this?

Thanks for your time! Nathan

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 11" only has a single Thunderbolt port. You'll have to use at least one Thunderbolt device and look at daisy chaining something off that.

3. nathantro thread starter macrumors newbie

DisplayLink

I've heard you can get a USB Adapter and use DisplayLink with multiple monitors. Is that not the case?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

All the "docking stations" I've seen using DisplayLink adaptors at work in Windows-land have appalling performance. With the relatively weak CPU in the MBA I'd steer clear.

Here's a Thunderbolt and displays related FAQ from Apple : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219

5. nathantro thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kolax macrumors G3

They're fine for text, but not video. I use one at work for a 3rd monitor but that monitor just displays terminal output so is fine for my needs.

7. nathantro thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah OK. I just want to use the 2nd and 3rd monitors for spreadsheet, presentations, and reference materials etc. I don't do graphical work and won't be watching videos on them.

So to me it sounds like running DisplayLink from a USB adapter may actually work...

8. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah it's reliable, just a poor refresh rate. Your MBA will be able to run it no problem.

One I use is a similar model to this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-UG...8&qid=1407793408&sr=8-14&keywords=displaylink

I use 20" 1600x1200 monitors so it's fine for me, but if you want something beefier, then the next model up can do 2048x1152.

9. nathantro thread starter macrumors newbie