Best Shoulder Style Backpack for a College Macbook User?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have a Timberland back backpack. I know that I will need to use my macbook alot more this year with my more intensive programming classes. :)

I would have taken it to school with me more this year but I could barely fit my books in the thing, let alone my precious macbook. :D

So what's a good shoulder bag that will adequately protect my macbook and allow me to carry 3 or 4 large college textbooks and several folders, couple binders etc?

2. neven macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

if by shoulder bag you mean a bag you carry over ONE shoulder, you don't really want to be carrying all that weight on one shoulder.

I'm very pleased with my InCase backpack. All their stuff is nice.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah I agree, if you're putting 3 or 4 books, a shoulder bag would be awful.

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I was more along the lines of carrying it in my hand with the short handle. I don't have to travel very far at one time.
    The most important thing is that is it big enough.

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

the InCase Rip-Stop Backpack will fit a laptop, power brick, all the cables, 4-8 books, and a small child, yet it looks sleek and is built like a tank.

Do yourself a favor and skip the cheapo Targuses and off-brands. They'll rip and the zippers won't last a week. Look for generous padding.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Sprint:pPC-6700; PPC; 240x320))

timbuk2 and crumpler make bombproof messenger bags, and both have different sized models with different internal capacities. you can decide just how much room you need after all. the timbuk2 commute and the upper crumpler bags all have handles and straps...

7. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

8. dubs macrumors member

Crumpler bags, are a bit more than a hundred dollars, although that depends upon the model. I have heard awesome things about their messenger bags, and I have a King Single backpack which fits a laptop, plus a few books, even a small jacket, and it looks pretty cool to boot. I got mine for $99 at amazon.

www.crumplerbags.com

Don't let the website fool you, they do make good bags, although somewhat expensive.

9. Crashmaster macrumors newbie

I bought a sleeve for my Macbook, the zip up incase one, so I can use my current messenger bag that doesn't have a notebook sleeve in it. I also have a backpack for when I need more than my Macbook and a textbook. No matter what, buy a sleeve. Just for those times when you don't need a bag at all.

10. james77 macrumors member

Regarding the Crumpler website. I wonder how much buisness they lost because of such a poor designed and annoying website!!!!

11. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

aweful, aweful website. i think that screaming monkey just woke my housemates.

12. wako macrumors 65816

You want to carry 3-4 large textbooks, a macbook, and a few binders on a shoulder bag, but you dont want a backpack?

Maybe you should look for a suitecase instead :p

I dont know any messenger bags that are big enough to carry all that. If you do change your mind on a backpack, i would suggest an oakley bag. They are the ONLY BAGS I have ever used that are big enough to carry my macbook, 3 spiral notebooks (150pages), 2 textbooks, a solution manual, and a model kit (for orgo) while still having enough room to stuff a sweater on the top of the books. Makes life alot easier for me during midterms and finals when Im stuck at the library for the most part of the day, I can bring EVERYTHING :D

I have an Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack and like the name, a lot of (random) people give me comments of the sheer size of it. One of the funniest I found was a random person saying "Are you raising an army in there?!"

13. james77 macrumors member

You mean the crumpler website has sounds to add to the awfulness ? Thankfully I had my speakers off when I visited it.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Crumpler makes some nice bags, but don't forget STM, also an Australian company.

Their backpacks have been given good reviews and are quite functional. They also have shoulder bags.