best side scroller game...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dpearman2007, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dpearman2007 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm looking for the best "side scrolling" game you've found out there for the mac. In the Mac app store, I've found Braid, which was a paid app and I enjoy it, however I'm always looking to expand my selection. So what are your thoughts on good ol' side scrolling games?

Thanks,
    Devin

2. jackrv macrumors 6502

The Oregon Trail for the Apple II. Not that crappy new version that actually has more than 16 colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iJbvztacE

This makes me want to find an Apple II emulator. Spent many hours on this game in school :)

Also, some parts of Epic's Winter and Summer Games has some side scrolling parts :)

Seriously, good luck on your quest for knowledge. I'm not too familiar with many games today.

3. Mac Eagle macrumors member

Trine

Have you tried Trine? I just discovered it over the weekend and thought it was pretty good (and only $2 on the Mac App Store). It's a side scroller where you have three different types of characters (Mage, Thief, Warrior) who have different abilities and you must use them all to solve environment based puzzles. The graphics and physics model are pretty impresive (even looks good in native resolution on my 27" 2011 iMac) . It was featured in the store and that's how I found it.

4. b0yfriend macrumors newbie

Seriously, Oregon Trail? It's one step up from an Excel spreadsheet that says "Cholera" in every 3rd field.

Cave Story! It's one of the best platformers of all time!

Here's the FREE (original) version:

http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

Here's the "+" version in the Mac App Store for $10:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cave-story/id456447717?mt=12

Either version is great. The only thing you gain from the paid for version are new sprites and some tweaked music along with a couple of tacked-on gameplay modes (which are actually pretty awesome).

Nerds (like me) are obsessed with this game to the point of doing speed runs. Try the free version out first and see how you like it. I can just about guarantee it will please any platforming fan with it's outstanding depth, thoughtfully designed gameplay, and nostalgic graphics (not because they're faux-retro, but because you will remember the art in this game years from now).

I can't believe I had to register on the Mac Rumor forums to make a game recommendation...

5. jdburgett macrumors newbie

6. blipmusic macrumors regular

+1

Hear, hear! Anyone who likes old school platformers even the slightest needs to play this. Up there with my all-time favorite Super Metroid, imo (though, SM wins due to its 'exploration', something I absolutely love in games).

Not sure about what side of a certain grey area this is considered to be on MacRumors, but suffice to say that if one wishes to find out if there's a country called Abandonia then Google would be your friend.