Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm looking for a simple hosting company that will offer around 1gb/mo. bandwidth (I'll probably use less than 100mb), only 10mb or so of storage, and a few email accounts such as user@domain.com.

I've seen a few out there that offer way more than I need for $10 a month. Maybe I can get what I need for less than that?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
johnbro23 said:
What does "dedicated IP address for SSL" mean? Do I need that?

SSL sites are for secure shopping carts. If you are not selling anything, then you do not need it.

I have heard nothing but glowing reports about ASO, so if that "Tiny" plan meets your needs, then grab it. You cannot beat the price and the service is supposed to be excellent.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
johnbro23 said:
Wow! Perfect.

Do you want me to put you down as my referrer?
Thanks, but I don't use them (I use a lessor ISP that provides a ton of disk space but not-so-great service). I'm sure someone else would be happy for a referral, though!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ASO are excellent and i use them for my site.
i think they have great support and offer great pricing too.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Blue Host has been spectacular for me. Great hosting (15 GB at $6.95/mo. with a domain registration for signing up), very reliable uptime, rock solid support (going by what others have said, I haven't personally ever needed it).

But a lot of people here do love ASO, so definitely check that out. They have better low-budget plans and seems to be pretty solid.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'd also recommend ASO. I've had them for a little over a year now and not once have I ever had a problem. Their support people always respond within hours with a message that's obviously from a real person, and the price sure isn't bad either for all the stuff you get!

Rare

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2006
Manchester, UK
I use Dreamhost (link) £100 for 2 years, I know it's quite expensive for what your looking for but I get 10GB hard disk space (Grows by 16mb a month) and 1TB transfer (Grows by 16gb a month).

Resell to clients for the same price each (Giving them 500mb space and as much transfer as they need - never going to top 1TB!)

100% uptime so far, apart from when they emailed me telling me they had to reboot the server for 10mins, which did not bother me, or my clients whatsoever. Nice of them to tell me, most hosts wouldn't.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
HiRez said:
Blue Host has been spectacular for me. Great hosting (15 GB at $6.95/mo. with a domain registration for signing up), very reliable uptime, rock solid support (going by what others have said, I haven't personally ever needed it).

But a lot of people here do love ASO, so definitely check that out. They have better low-budget plans and seems to be pretty solid.

I just signed up last night with Bluehost because of your recommendation. I got the 2 year deal. Only cost US$170 including a free domain! fantastic! Thanks for pointing this great host out!

exabytes18

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2006
Suburb of Chicago
I went the do it yourself route. Originally I was with bravenet.com, nothing was wrong with them, I just wanted PHP and MySQL, but I didn't want to spend more money. I setup Apache, PHP and MySQL all on my computer and got things up and running. Check it out, www.laazy.com. Excellant deal considering you get all the space you could possibly need, sufficient bandwidth, and no extra costs.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i do hostfor2bucks.com. they have terrible service, but they charge $24 a year, and they give you a free domain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.