Best & Simplest Application (Paid or Free) for Creating Hard Drive .dmg for Backup?

MacPerforma

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hi all.

I've been looking around online at the various OSX backup and disk imaging programs, and while I've found quite a few, I'm finding quite a bit of variation in terms of features, price, and ease of use. My goal is to find a program that will easily create a complete disk image (.dmg) of my laptop's hard drive which I can offload to an external drive for backup purposes.

I believe this task can be accomplished can be accomplished with Mac utilities I already have (Disk Utility, maybe?), but it seems to me that this can be a fairly involved process. Ideally, I'm looking for something that makes this a very simple process....just click a button, and the .dmg file is created and offloaded to a specified directory on an external drive.

Any suggestions? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
[[ My goal is to find a program that will easily create a complete disk image (.dmg) of my laptop's hard drive which I can offload to an external drive for backup purposes. ]]

Hmmm.
This doesn't make sense.

You won't be able to boot from a disk image in a "moment of extreme need", such as an "I can't boot" situation.
You won't even be able to mount it, if your MacBook won't boot first.

If you want a quick, easy, and readlly-accessible backup on an external drive, your best bet would be to create a bootable clone external drive using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

You can then connect the cloned backup and boot your MacBook from it -- VERY useful to have for such moments of need, as above.

I suggest you do this:

- If you don't yet have an external drive, get one
- Download CCC from here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html
(Free to download and use for 30 days)
- Create the cloned backup (very, VERY easy)
- Do a test boot from the backup by restarting and holding down the option key until the startup manager appears. Then select the backup and hit return.
- Done!

Reactions: JamesPDX
Comment

blue-fireball

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2014
Bootable backups are definitely superior, assuming you are not looking for some kind of hardcore encryption. I used SuperDuper! for years, but have since made the switch to Carbon Copy Cloner.

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There's a nifty little program that allows booting from a disk image on an Intell Mac. I don't recall the name of it, but I've used it in the last with great results.

Comment