Best situation for repairing dented macbook pro?

Sandor Clegane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
The corner of my Macbook Pro is dented. Obviously I know that this can't get fixed cheap, that it means replacing the entire unibody, etc...but what's the *best* place to get it repaired in terms of pricing and quality? I know stuff like this costs hundreds of dollars but $300-500 would be preferable to $800.

From what I've heard myservice.com seems to be the best legitimate place and it's authorized by Apple, but are there any better alternatives?

Thanks!

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
The corner of my Macbook Pro is dented. Obviously I know that this can't get fixed cheap, that it means replacing the entire unibody, etc...but what's the *best* place to get it repaired in terms of pricing and quality? I know stuff like this costs hundreds of dollars but $300-500 would be preferable to $800.

From what I've heard myservice.com seems to be the best legitimate place and it's authorized by Apple, but are there any better alternatives?

Thanks!
for that price, u my as well wait till your due for a new computer and put that 800 dollars towards a new macbook pro in the future...

Sandor Clegane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Well there are some Apple stores locally but MyService (which is authorized by Apple) is up to 50% cheaper with 24 hour turnaround, so that sounds as good as it gets. But I was wondering if there are any other recommended alternatives as I'm a bit of a newbie to Apple products.

But yeah if it's really steep I'll pass. But I'm pretty OCD about this stuff unforunately. Chances are I'll just live with it though.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Cheaper to deal with your OCD. Unless your MacBook is glued to a desk you're bound to get dents.
Not really. I did a lot of traveling and used my MBP in many places without getting it dented.

To OP: Sorry, I don't know any cheap repair shops. But, maybe post a pic, so we all can see the dent. I'm just curious ;)

Sandor Clegane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Here it is.

Could be worse, I guess...I've seen dents that prevent people from closing their laptops and/or inserting in their flash drives. Still it's bothersome. Basically I was carrying it in my laptop case from my dorm room and I tripped on a patch of black ice.

Last edited:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
If the MBP isn't experiencing any problems I would suggest forgoing a repair. $500+ for a cosmetic problem just doesn't make much sense to me.

People tend to be too concerned with computers looking perfect. But it is only a consumer product that is mass-produced. Things get scratched and dented if they are used; so what?

My first SLR was a Nikkormat FT2 that I purchased in a pawn shop in L.A. in 1981. It looked like it had been in a war: much of the black paint was gone and there was a significant dent on a corner, which took some doing seeing as how it was made of solid brass.

I used that camera for years without any problems; I then sold it to a friend. 40 years later and the last time I asked about the camera it was still going strong, dents and all.

So save your $$$ and learn to live with imperfections that don't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. You will be a lot happier in the long-run if you focus on things that really matter and ignore those that do not.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Judging from the picture above the lid is the one who's dented, right?
If so you can find a replacement on ebay and repair it yourself, just search for "macbook pro lid".

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Yeah, you're right. Thanks for putting it into perspective like that. :)
Black Ice is wicked, I know.

I'm with the others, try and refocus on the fact that it could have been worse & hopefully you're OK.

Speaking as someone who takes excellent care with his MBP, I remind myself that even though mine is dent free as if this writing, anything can happen at anytime, that's why they're called accidents.

Easy to say but hard to accept... It's just a laptop :)

Cheers

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
It's actually the inside area with the keyboard.
I did a more thorough search on ebay and found exactly what you're looking for. If you hurry you might get it, auction ends in 50min. Just search for "Apple Macbook PRO 15" A1286 2.66 Unibody Palmrest Keyboard Trackpad =613-7742"

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.