Best situation for repairing dented macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandor Clegane, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Sandor Clegane macrumors newbie

The corner of my Macbook Pro is dented. Obviously I know that this can't get fixed cheap, that it means replacing the entire unibody, etc...but what's the *best* place to get it repaired in terms of pricing and quality? I know stuff like this costs hundreds of dollars but $300-500 would be preferable to $800.

From what I've heard myservice.com seems to be the best legitimate place and it's authorized by Apple, but are there any better alternatives?

Thanks!

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

for that price, u my as well wait till your due for a new computer and put that 800 dollars towards a new macbook pro in the future...

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I agree with RandomRazr, but if you are going to get it fixed have you considered a local Apple Authorized Service Provider?

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I would never spend that much money to repair something if it still worked fine.

5. Sandor Clegane thread starter macrumors newbie

Well there are some Apple stores locally but MyService (which is authorized by Apple) is up to 50% cheaper with 24 hour turnaround, so that sounds as good as it gets. But I was wondering if there are any other recommended alternatives as I'm a bit of a newbie to Apple products.

But yeah if it's really steep I'll pass. But I'm pretty OCD about this stuff unforunately. Chances are I'll just live with it though.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Cheaper to deal with your OCD. Unless your MacBook is glued to a desk you're bound to get dents.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Not really. I did a lot of traveling and used my MBP in many places without getting it dented.

To OP: Sorry, I don't know any cheap repair shops. But, maybe post a pic, so we all can see the dent. I'm just curious ;)

8. Sandor Clegane, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

Sandor Clegane thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is.

[​IMG]

Could be worse, I guess...I've seen dents that prevent people from closing their laptops and/or inserting in their flash drives. Still it's bothersome. Basically I was carrying it in my laptop case from my dorm room and I tripped on a patch of black ice.

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If the MBP isn't experiencing any problems I would suggest forgoing a repair. $500+ for a cosmetic problem just doesn't make much sense to me.

People tend to be too concerned with computers looking perfect. But it is only a consumer product that is mass-produced. Things get scratched and dented if they are used; so what?

My first SLR was a Nikkormat FT2 that I purchased in a pawn shop in L.A. in 1981. It looked like it had been in a war: much of the black paint was gone and there was a significant dent on a corner, which took some doing seeing as how it was made of solid brass.

I used that camera for years without any problems; I then sold it to a friend. 40 years later and the last time I asked about the camera it was still going strong, dents and all.

So save your $$$ and learn to live with imperfections that don't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. You will be a lot happier in the long-run if you focus on things that really matter and ignore those that do not.

10. Sandor Clegane thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for putting it into perspective like that. :)

11. praetorx macrumors regular

Judging from the picture above the lid is the one who's dented, right?
    If so you can find a replacement on ebay and repair it yourself, just search for "macbook pro lid".

12. Sandor Clegane thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually the inside area with the keyboard.

13. praetorx macrumors regular

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Black Ice is wicked, I know.

I'm with the others, try and refocus on the fact that it could have been worse & hopefully you're OK.

Speaking as someone who takes excellent care with his MBP, I remind myself that even though mine is dent free as if this writing, anything can happen at anytime, that's why they're called accidents.

Easy to say but hard to accept... It's just a laptop :)

Cheers

15. praetorx macrumors regular

I did a more thorough search on ebay and found exactly what you're looking for. If you hurry you might get it, auction ends in 50min. Just search for "Apple Macbook PRO 15" A1286 2.66 Unibody Palmrest Keyboard Trackpad =613-7742"

Good luck!