Best Skins Ever for 2013 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jedolley, Jul 15, 2013.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

This post serves mainly as a FYI for prospective buyers.

I purchased a full body skin from BSE during their Fourth of July Sale. Their site stated it was compatible with the 2013 model. When I received the skin, everything fit correctly but the side... They had not updated their skin for the two mic holes.

I contacted them via their support page and twitter and they sent me out their "updated" side late last week and I received it today. The cut-outs are still off (see pic). It appears they tried to make it universal-ish with holes to fit pre-2013 & 2013 models, but they did not get it right. I have contacted them via support and twitter again and will update this thread in case anyone is interested.

As a side note, their matte skins are pretty fricking awesome (at least the ones cut out correctly). I've used matte skins from Phantomskinz before, and BSE's new matte skins are much nicer. It's got a nice smooth feel and the matte look makes it hard to even notice a skin is one. The "clear" or normal versions always made the device look shinier IMO, which I did not like as much.

Attached Files:

2. Spock1234 macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this. I was planning to buy this skin, but I will hold off until they update their design.

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Same thing happened to me. I quite like the skins themselves, the sides just need to be fixed. Excellent quality otherwise.

4. iterva macrumors regular

iterva

Ordered the matte skin for my MBA on monday, it got shipped tuesday and today i received a e-mail from them:

1) Nice of them to acknowledge this, and e-mail me (When ordering i didn´t plan on using the side skins, but assumed they would have made it compatible)
    2) Unfortunately this also means (most likely) that the side skins will be the same as OP -> Wrong position of mic holes.

Oh well, considering all the positive reviews i´ve seen on these regarding quality, combined with great price, i can accept some "hiccups". :p
    Just have to wait and see what drops down in the mailbox.

5. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I got an email from them today stating the updated (part deux) skin should be shipping out today... I'll post the fit once I receive it (I assume early next week).

6. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

7. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I got the e-mail from them Friday as well. They already shipped the side pieces to me and I should also get them next week. I like the glossy versions because they give a better grip when carrying the device. Excellent product and great customer service over the years.

8. Spock1234 macrumors newbie

Did you receive the replacement side-skin? Is it a match for the new microphone holes?

9. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I received it monday, but have had a busy week so far. It's similar to the pic I posted (3 holes to make it compatible with 2013 model and pre-2013 models), but this time it does match up perfectly.

10. Spock1234 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update. Now I can place my order.

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you're a good man - thanks for going to all this effort!

12. Silver5656 macrumors member

I havent received the updated side piece, but previous to ordering I asked if it was updated to fit the dual mic's and they said yes so I ordered. And of course it did not fit but I did receive an email saying they would ship out a new one. Also, it has been 48 hours since I applied the skins (except the side) and the top skin is too big. It sticks out on the left and right sides by about 1mm on each side so I emailed them. Heres hoping that a 30 min install doesnt take more than a week (install + waiting 48 hours for the skin to "cure" + waiting for the new top). My previous MBA had a wrapsol skin which was great, fit perfect, came with everything needed to install (no lint towel, application fluid, and rubber squeegee)...... too bad they are no longer in business

13. johnjey macrumors regular

I want to buy a transparent screen, please suggest the best one's that you have used ? Website ? links ?

14. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure why your fit was off, mine was perfect except the initial side piece. BSE has always shipped only the skin and none of the extras. I guess it helps them keep the prices down (usually half off what their "competitors" charge). Their customer service has been great, I'm sure if you shot them an email (may require a pic or two) they would probably send out replacements.

15. Spock1234 macrumors newbie

BSE's customer service is above and beyond what you would expect, especially from a company that is known for their 'no-frills', 'value' products.

They took care of me when I had trouble with a Matte skin for my iPhone. Asked for a couple of pics showing the problem and immediately shipped out a replacement skin. They even included a postage-paid envelope to return the defective skin so they could examine it. BTW, this was the first and only time I had any issue with their products, having bought skins for my 4 iPhones, 2 iPads and three MacBook Pros over several years.

16. iterva macrumors regular

iterva

I had no issues with the fit of the MBA skin.
    Updated side for 2013 MBA fit perfectly.

Something to keep in mind with skins is that they are quite sensitive to stretching, so when applying the skin and using too little liquid and/or too little soap they tend to stretch when adjusting them on the device. This is my experience atleast and i gained the experience the hard way. :D lol

Def. not just BSE "problem" i have encountered this with other brands aswell.

Last week i installed my 3rd BSE.. Using them on my MBA, iphone 5 and Galaxy S4.. Couldn't be more pleased with the feel and quality.

17. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Hi guys.

I'm just really curious, most likely due to my inexperience with Macbooks in one way or another... but why do you guys put skins on the aluminum bodies?

Forget the fact that it takes away the lovely sleek look, but doesn't it prevent the fast-cooling properties of the aluminum casing? Why do people stick plastic on it?

Maybe to prevent scratches? Cant think of anything else. Please do share. Curiosity will not kill any cats. PETA be cool!:p

18. iterva, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

iterva macrumors regular

iterva

Personally i do it just for scratch protection.
    And i have not noticed that my computer would run any warmer with these, granted i have not done a scientific test, only by keeping an eye on the thermals a few days before installation and the first few days after.

I dont think that it takes away "the lovely sleek look" since the skins are seethru and only ~0.2mm thick.
    Check out bestskinsever.com for full description :D

Maybe you are confusing skins with hardshell cases..? ;)

19. astoxos macrumors regular

Having swapped 4-5 skins on my '12 MBA, there are no issues at all. On contrary, it is a perfect idea to capture some attention in university and also boost the resale value later since it will be flawless.