Best Sleep Tracking App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by HelixOmnimedia, Nov 11, 2018.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello,

I’ve had the Apple Watch since launch day, and updated from 0 to 3, but have never used it for tracking sleep.

Someone at work recommended using ‘Pillow’ - year the watch and auto-tracks your sleep pattern and gives details on awake, REM, Light and Deep Sleep.

Just wondered what other apps people use or recommend.

Ps. I’m averaging about 5 hours a night sleep these days and don’t know why. It’s slowly driving me insane.

2. 0970373 Suspended

I've been using Sleep Cycle for a few years and it's great for tracking sleep patterns, snoring, how long it takes you to fall asleep, etc etc. It may not explain why you aren't sleeping though. You'll probably need to see a human about that if it's something outside of too much caffeine or outside stimuli. What the sleep apps are good for is collecting some data to give to your doctor to help find the real issue.

3. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

I use SleepWatch. It seems to track my sleep correctly, and I don't have to remember to start it.

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Agreed! And it has the easiest to read interface I've found.

5. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I have been using "Auto Sleep", but after Sleep Watch added the lines for light, active, and restful sleep, I'm beginning to like it also. Decisions, decisions, etc...

6. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I really like Sleep Watch as I never have to think about it.

Being able to show these sleep graphs and sleep patterns to my doctors has been very helpful in diagnosing my sleep disorder. (Just one of the many ways the Apple Watch contributes to my health.)

7. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I use both AutoSleep with HeartWatch and SleepWatch, there are aspects of both that I like. SleepWatch has a great dashboard and as noted with the latest update is even better.

8. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I was a long time user of both of these apps but both were giving false readings constantly. The heartwatch app kept saying my heart rate was crazy high. Meanwhile every other application I tried including the built in one indicated normal. It got to a point where I'd stand up and it would go crazy with notifications. Finally decided to delete that one. And SleepWatch was a big time battery drain after a couple of recent updates so it was time to let that one go as well.

9. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Sorry to hear you had issues with these apps. How long ago was this? Out of curiosity, did you reach out to either of the developers and or review the help sections on their pages? I've found them to work quite well.

Have you found another app that's been a better replacement?

10. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I started seeing issues with the heartrate stuff just prior to switching over to the Apple Watch Series 4 from 3. I figured that would be the case once I was on a new device but it just got even worse once I did switch. The update to make it fully compatible just didn't work well for me and kept sending false readings. I know I can change the notification limits but it really just got to me. Unfortunately I have not found replacements for either of them yet. Honestly because I haven't really looked. I may try to reinstall those apps at some point since I again I have been a long time user. The best part about those apps, subscriptions were ZERO! I just can't stand all the apps using subscription based tracking these days.

11. Magnificent macrumors member

Sleep watch has a very user-friendly interface and also you can examine your last sleep on your watch without your iPhone.
    I can say that, it really works well and tracks very reliably

12. ilivestrong macrumors newbie

ilivestrong

Sorry to be so stupid. I am a new Watch users :) Do you need to wear your watch while sleeping to use one of these Sleep monitor apps? Thanks

13. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

Yes. While there are a few that "track" you while laying on your nightstand, I found that wearing my watch while I slept give me more data. I use SleepWatch.

14. user1234 macrumors 6502a

user1234

I'm currently using both AutoSleep and Sleep Watch to compare how they work for me.

I feel like the AutoSleep UI is more refined. Sleep Watch told me I had more deep sleep though, so I guess Sleep Watch gives me a better nights sleep? :D

I'm not sure which one is more accurate, but I think I'm going to choose to keep AutoSleep as my sleep tracking app. I like it slightly better, but both are good.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 20, 2018 ---
    I forgot to add the screenshots.

Sleep Watch
    IMG_0627.png IMG_0626.png

AutoSleep
    IMG_0629.png IMG_0630.png IMG_0628.png

Come to think of it, I also like that Sleep Watch isn't translated to my language. I prefer to have it in english.

15. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have really enjoyed Pillow. For my sleep behavior / pattern it has been quite accurate.

16. a.y.n macrumors 6502

a.y.n

17. phessler macrumors newbie

I too have been using AutoSleep for a while and it works well.

18. colonelbutt macrumors 6502

colonelbutt

I use SleepWatch. Its excellent. It auto detects sleep so no need to press any buttons.

Also for those worried about RF radiation, you can use it in airplane mode (which my watch is always in when I sleep)

this is an example from last night. 5.53 hours sleep, my best this week :(
    had to get up at 2am to give my boy neurophen as he is not well and had a temperature and also got up at 4:30am for you know what :)

sleep.png