Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
i have a canon xsi and i may upgrade soon. so best one for pictures strictly for around 1000... i don't mind if it comes with video, but if i could get a better one without it would be preferable.

also a good prime lens?? I've been told i should really invest in one of these, and less on a body?? suggestions??

thanks.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Well, are you looking to stick with Canon?

And for a prime lens, you can't go wrong with a 50mm f/1.8

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
i have a canon xsi and i may upgrade soon. so best one for pictures strictly for around 1000... i don't mind if it comes with video, but if i could get a better one without it would be preferable.

also a good prime lens?? I've been told i should really invest in one of these, and less on a body?? suggestions??

thanks.

What's wrong with your current camera? Why not look at lenses instead?

Paul

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
What's wrong with your current camera? Why not look at lenses instead?

Paul

Yes, what do you like the shoot, and what is the problem that you are trying to solve?

well nothing is "Wrong" with it, it is an entry level camera. i always assumed a body would help me more than a lens. but you guys know more than me so lens suggestions?

----------

i have the stock 18-55mm... a 75-300mm zoom...and a 50mm

whats a really nice one? (link to amazon please)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
well nothing is "Wrong" with it, it is an entry level camera. i always assumed a body would help me more than a lens. but you guys know more than me so lens suggestions?

----------

i have the stock 18-55mm... a 75-300mm zoom...and a 50mm

whats a really nice one? (link to amazon please)

Which lens will serve you best depends entirely upon what you intend to do with it. If you haven't yet settled down on a favorite genre in photography, then it's a good idea to get a zoom or two and a fast prime and see where your interests fall. You already have those lenses, however. So you're all set. If you want to move your photography forward, start sharing your photos online and find out what you might do to improve. It's likely that you would be better off investing in some travel, a good photography book, or a photography course. Don't sink your money into more gear unless you can identify a problem it will solve. But if you must buy something to satisfy that craving, consider support (i.e. a tripod) or lighting, since you already have a good range of focal lengths covered.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Which lens will serve you best depends entirely upon what you intend to do with it. If you haven't yet settled down on a favorite genre in photography, then it's a good idea to get a zoom or two and a fast prime and see where your interests fall. You already have those lenses, however. So you're all set. If you want to move your photography forward, start sharing your photos online and find out what you might do to improve. It's likely that you would be better off investing in some travel, a good photography book, or a photography course. Don't sink your money into more gear unless you can identify a problem it will solve. But if you must buy something to satisfy that craving, consider support (i.e. a tripod) or lighting, since you already have a good range of focal lengths covered.

what is "prime" tho? cuz the 50mm was like 100$...so not sure exactly what you mean by that

and sports would probably have to be my favorite

Last edited:

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
You say nothing is "wrong" with your camera; are you upgrading for a reason other than simply wanting to upgrade?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
It’s possible to spend a lot of money on cameras and lenses, without the quality of the pictures improving consequentially (or not improving as much as expected). I’ve always gone the budget route (sometimes from choice, sometimes from necessity), which for me has meant sticking with a very simple set-up: trying to get the most out of it by becoming familiar with the equipment... seeing what it will do (and what it won’t).

Shoot, shoot, shoot with the gear you have already... until you are in no doubt about what you need next... whether that’s a new camera, lens or a photographic course...

Last edited:

DSPalpatine

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Well, it's your money, so spend it however you see fit. However, unless you are horribly constricted by your current camera (such as wanting to shoot HD video and your XSi can't), then my advice is to put the money into better lenses, and upgrade the body later.

For instance, the 50mm f/1.8 is a great starter prime lens. The 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, however, although more expensive has much faster focusing, handles low-light situations well, and is dead-silent. The 1.8mm is, if nothing else, a bit noisy.

For portraiture, the 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens that won't break the bank. Do you have a good zoom lens, something in the 75-100mm or 100-300mm range? You could pick up two or three good, above-entry level lenses for the same cost as upgrading the camera body.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Keep current camera and lens and put money into a photography class. Far the best return on investment. Then buy the "hardware" that you find you you really need.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Well, it's your money, so spend it however you see fit. However, unless you are horribly constricted by your current camera (such as wanting to shoot HD video and your XSi can't), then my advice is to put the money into better lenses, and upgrade the body later.

For instance, the 50mm f/1.8 is a great starter prime lens. The 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, however, although more expensive has much faster focusing, handles low-light situations well, and is dead-silent. The 1.8mm is, if nothing else, a bit noisy.

For portraiture, the 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens that won't break the bank. Do you have a good zoom lens, something in the 75-100mm or 100-300mm range? You could pick up two or three good, above-entry level lenses for the same cost as upgrading the camera body.

I have a 75-300mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.