Best 'Small' HDTV For Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simontarr, Nov 14, 2007.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

-- I've posted this in the Console Games forum, but I thought I'd post it here as well as it's likely to gain more attention --

Hi All,

I'm calling out to fellow MR members to recommend a HDTV for me for the Xbox 360. We're all technically minded and discerning technology enthusiasts here, so I would appreciate your opinions!

The maximum I have to spend is £400 and would like a TV greater in size than 19 inches (I think 19 is too small for console gaming)

HDMI would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker. It doesn't matter if the speakers are rubbish because I have an external speaker system that I'm going to connect to the xbox via optical.

Basically, what is the best TV I could get for console gaming for the money? I've read the specs for thousands of TVs, but actual first hand experience is still the thing to listen to, IMO so I'm eager to get your opinions.

Thanks people.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well I own a Samsung LE23R86 and I'm more than happy with it's performance. Like many Samsungs these days, you have to be prepared to spend about 10 minutes fine-tuning settings as the default is a bit off, but after that, blacks are deep (relative to other TVs at the price range), response time is fast and flicker is non-existent. It plays very well on my 360 at 720p, and a Wii at 480i through SCART.

There's also a Piano Black version.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the Samsung LNS3251D 32" LCD. It's the perfect size for console gaming, and has a "Game Mode" that was developed in joint with Microsoft.

I'm happy with image quality overall, but there are a few negatives. You can't turn off DNIe (basically post image processing done by the TV), unless you access the service menu. There are also a few issues with blackness with using HDMI. If the device doesn't have a "HDMI Brightness" option, then you may get stuck with temporary background artifacts on solid black screens as you move between menus, etc.

In my opinion, rear projection DLPs are the best bang for your buck if you can tolerate the extra bulkiness (and don't suffer from the "rainbow effect" like me).

I've always been told that the Sharp Aquos are the top of the line for LCD, and Pioneer for plasma. If you order online, definitely go to an actual store and demo the unit. Make sure your sales rep. shows you both HD and SD content. Also, adjust the settings on the unit yourself as they are usually purposely set for looking good on the showroom floor.

4. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Just taken a look at that Samsung- it looks nice in white and would compliment the 360 well.

I was browsing around just now and came across this- what do you think? Is it the same panel as the one you recommended?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132112/show_product_gallery

Rear Projection DLP would be the way to go, but I simply don't have the room at the moment- a small (20-26") LCD is the best size for my room I think. Thanks for the reply though, it's something to think about in the coming months when I have my own place.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

There are quite a few big differences.
    1) More pixels - 1680x1050 means 720p will be stretched a fair amount from the native resolution. In other words, it's more suited to being a PC monitor.
    2) Poorer contrast ratio/ brightness.
    3) 16:10 aspect ratio - HD is normally in a 16:9 format.

FYI I think all Samsung LCDs include the "Game Mode" (the one I recommended does too), but it has a tendency to give a green tint to the image.

6. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I think I'm going to get the one you originally suggested. It's within budget and 23" is a good size to play games on. I'm going to visit a store tomorrow and check it out- maybe see if the sales reps will hook it up to an xbox/PS3 so I can get an idea first-hand.

Thanks for your help!

Si