best software and suggestions to protect mbp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fa.ce, Apr 24, 2007.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

0) http://www.orbicule.com/
    others ?
    1) firmware password
    2) create a guest user
    3) enable password on screen saver
    4) filevault (i've read really bad things about that, instability and others)
    5) put some sensitive data in encrypted file (any program that help to take trace of all the protected files)

any more sugestions ?
    thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rather than FileVault, create a protected sparse disk image in Disk Utility and keep your secrets there. I don't trust FileVault as far as I can throw it (which isn't far because it's virtual). Add to the list that you might want to enable your firewall too.

3. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

firewall enabled
    network time and share documents enabled
    it's secure even if i'll enabled those (network time and share documents) ?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean Personal File Sharing? Yeah, it should be fine with those running.

5. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes personal file sharing (it was a free translation from italian os :eek: )
    I do not understand, when enabled for example personal file sharing and enabled firewall too, personal file sharing is not under firewall protection ?
    sorry for this very neophite question

6. Trogloxene macrumors regular

If you choose the encrypted dmg solution, check out DropDMG it's a really nice little utility.

-T

7. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it a good security practice to create a guest user account ?
    How to exclude guest to use my admin programs ?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries with all the questions mate, but I don't quite know what you mean by this one. :eek:

Your second question's answered very nicely here by TheAnswer. As for the first one, yeah, it's a pretty good idea to run from a guest account rather than an admin one.

Just as a side note, OSX is far more secure than Windows (which is what I assume you're coming from). All these methods will lead to an extremely secure OS however I just thought I'd add the fact that I don't partake in any of them personally and feel absolutely safe-as-houses. I just thought I'd add that. :)

9. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I'd also recommend using fast user switching to go to the log in window whenever you want your computer to still run and process things but to be secure from people's hands while you are gone or secure from your children while you are sleeping. SuperDuper! can back up your whole hard drive successfully while you are at the log in window and if I remember correctly it even puts your computer to sleep (if you selected that option in SuperDuper!) when its done backing up your data.