Best software/apps for my new MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by basqarl, Feb 27, 2008.

1. basqarl macrumors regular

What are the best applications for my new MBP?

I already have ordered Mac Office 2008 (well, 2004 and the 08 upgrade).

Should I also get iWork 08?

What about Aperture 2 vs Photoshop vs other software?

What is best for running Windows on the Mac? Parallels? Boot Camp? Other options?

I'm getting Time Capsule.

I tend to rely on a mouse. Is it redundant with the new multitrack pad on the MBP? What mouse would you recommend? Wireless-- yes or no?

Thoughts on Final Cut Express 4? What about Logic Express 8? Other options?

I am ordering through the Apple Education Store, so I will get these things somewhat discounted if I order everything at once.

Is the Apple remote worth it? (Now it costs extra....!)

Any and all recommendations will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iWork - your MBP should come with a free trial, so you might as well give it a go. Some people prefer it, others don't (I prefer Office 08).

As for Windows, you need to decide what you want to use it for. Anything like games or anything else that requires good performance from the system will be best in Boot Camp. Otherwise you'll need to pick one of the virtualisation packages.

I find that a mouse is needed more for Windows, in Mac OS X the usage of right click is reduced and also the two finger tap to right click on the trackpad works well.

In Windows, it doesn't work so great and it really is designed to use a mouse with 2 buttons.

The remote is useful to have, but not really essential. If you see yourself using the computer at a distance you'll wanna get it.

You should be able to use the Education store at any time to get the benefit of the discount.

3. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

Apple didn't install any trialware on the new MBP, at least not on mine (brought from local Apple store), no iWork 08 tiral. But you can always download it from Apple website.

Here's another list of essential Mac appz.
    top-100-essential-mac-applications

As for the remote. I just found out you can actually use it to control Keynote. Office is good, but Powerpoint sucks. Keynote is lot easier to use and with better visaul effects. So if your major requires you to do a lot of presentations then it will worth the money to buy iWork just for Keynote, it'll save you boat loads of time in preperation of presentations. Hope that helps.

4. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thank you so much! I have some research to do but at least you've given me a huge head start.

5. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Are you just listing applications you've heard of?

6. Terwal macrumors regular

Thanks cobbe1 and neil321 for the apps list... very useful...

7. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

What do you use your MPB for? Cnet & Version Tracker both have many downloads, Apple.com has a great collection, and Macworld has reviews archived for many good apps.

bb

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Boot camp is the best option for running XP on your MBP. You get full performance because you boot into Windows and it's free, unlike Parallels.

As for a mouse, definitely get one, it's so much easier to use than a trackpad IMO. I'd recommend either a wireless Mighty Mouse or a Logitech MX Revolution. The MM is BT so there's no wires at all but it uses AA batteries and is only mediocre in comfort. The MX uses a rechargeable battery and is very comfortable but uses RF so there is a little USB stick to get wireless.

As for a remote, don't get one yet, just wait and see if you really need one. With a laptop I don't think it's really necessary, I don't really use mine very much.

9. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

The wireless MM is a good investment. It will run on either one or two batteries. Extra life lithium recommended.

bb