Best Software for GoPro Footage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yabot, Aug 8, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

So i bought myself a hero 2 almost 2 years ago now and then upgraded to a hero 3 silver edition about 6 months ago as i preferred the slimmer design.

However, as much as i love my gopro, i now have about 100Gb worth of footage lying around from snowboarding and scuba diving.

I haven't really done any video editing before so would love to know what the best easiest to figure out software is to, slow things down, stabilize, crop, just basic stuff really, i was looking at FCP? I heard alot of people use Twixtor but not sure where i can find that.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

It depends on what you means by "editing". For many peole this means just cuting out the bad shots and keeping the good ones. iMovie is perfect for that and it is dirt cheap if you don't already have it on your Mac.

Next step is true "editing" where you are using pictures to tell a story. There is NO WAY you will be able to do this without reading a book length text on film editing. OK there are some on-line class on editing but you have to learn the basics and I am NOT (repute NOT) talking about learning to use the software. Learning editing how to string cuts together and you can do that with real film and cement splices. Then learn how to use Final Cut Pro. Maybe at Lynda.com or some thing like that.

You question is a little like saying "I want to write a novel, what word processor is best." That question does t address the harder part of the problem.

But if all you are doing is sticking the best shots on a DVD iMove is perfect another is not much of a learning curve or much cost.

3. Megaman macrumors member

They have free software on the GoPro website that is fairly easy to use. It has almost everything anyone would need to put together something quickly.