Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
So, I started a thread earlier asking about what I should do with my G5's...now I'm wondering...What are the latest versions of 'the best' software i can get for them..

For example.. Latest version of the Adobe suite, final cut. etc.

Thanks guys!

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Im looking more for the latest versions of software that will run on the PPC.

For example i know that the latest version of Logic that will run is 8!

I am trying to find the BEST(not free) software with the latest version I can run.

Hopefully I'm not being too vague.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Then Wikipedia is a good source for that, if the application is known enough, but you should also know, that many applications are using Universal Binaries, thus can run on PPC and Intel Macs. It is only the Intel-only applications, that can't run on PPC Macs, which you may already know though.
But for AE and FCS/FCP Wiki is a good source, when they list their versions.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have on my work G5 the last versions for PPC of the following apps:
• Adobe CS4 Suite
• QuarkXPress 8.51
• Suitcase Fusion 2
• Acrobat Professional 9
• Microsoft Office 2008
• Toast Titanium 10
• Diskwarrior 4.3 (not sure if this is the last version for PPC or not)

Note that both ID CS4 and XPress 8.51 are dog slow when using large amounts of text, Illustrator CS4 is a memory pig and Office (all apps) is EXTREMELY slow to start if you have the Suitcase Fusion Core running before you start them.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
This would be an excellent idea for a sticky if it could be organized by Processor (G3, G4, G5, etc.) requirements as well as by OS requirements (OS 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, etc.)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Guess the mods don't want to (I contacted two of them and no answer), I guess I would need to refomulate all to be in "guide form".
Hope it help you in your software needs.

Maybe because they don't want it to become a piracy issue? There are a lot of people who come in here, ask for information on stuff that works on G3s and G4s only to just torrent it or find it on Macintosh Garden.

MacRumors will then become the first result when people type in something like "iWork PowerPC download" and you'll have endless posts of people looking asking for links to it. It's bad enough that in 2012 we still have posts like, "Just bought a G3 iBook on eBay, now what?" filling up this section. Too many people think every computer has an Intel chip in them.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Maybe because they don't want it to become a piracy issue? There are a lot of people who come in here, ask for information on stuff that works on G3s and G4s only to just torrent it or find it on Macintosh Garden.

MacRumors will then become the first result when people type in something like "iWork PowerPC download" and you'll have endless posts of people looking asking for links to it. It's bad enough that in 2012 we still have posts like, "Just bought a G3 iBook on eBay, now what?" filling up this section. Too many people think every computer has an Intel chip in them.

Valid point, but I've never found the "I just bought a (insert PowerPC computer)" threads to be an annoyance...so long as they ask questions that couldn't be answered with a simple search of the forums.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

LOOL, my faq always tend point to free/open source software and if not possible I never point to links/whatever (And I never seen anyone doing that here) so that point is not valid.

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I do agree that it would be awesome to have a comprehensive list of software for different models of PPC and even Intel.... Though I also agree with the piracy issue.

I have these G5's and I just want to get the most out of them! I have so much (legal) software, thanks to my fathers company. Just trying to figure out what is compatible so I don't go through countless dead ends.

I'm determined.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Again, in my Faq there are at least two blogs whose owners did that job for us, it is just a matter of searching.
Of course that in terms of high priced comercial software it will be more difficult to find wich version are powerpc supported or not, but in terms of free software it is quite easy.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If no one knows about a piece of software then no one can buy it, let alone pirate it.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ estrides
Im looking more for the latest versions of software that will run on the PPC.

For example i know that the latest version of Logic that will run is 8!

I am trying to find the BEST(not free) software with the latest version I can run.

Hopefully I'm not being too vague.
9 does work under 10.5 with some shortcommings (I guess three option buttons are not available... I do not remember yet, I posted it somewhen here on the forum, when someone asked for a mac mini vs G5 Quad comparison).

estrides

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Yeah i actually see that it has a Universal Binary but some of the excess programs like Main Stage and Soundtrack wont start up.. WHATEVER! I have an MBP for that stuff! I can use the G5 as my workhorse and recording with (hopefully) Logic 9!

samsonlonghair

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
I also have a powermac G5. Here's the software I use:

OSX 10.5.8 leopard
Adobe CS4
Final Cut Express 4.0.1
Camino 2.1.2
Safari 5.0.6 (runs slowly)
Simple Comic 1.7
itunes 10.6.1
Quicktime 7.5.5 with Perian 1.2.3
Adobe Flash Player 10.1.102.64
Adobe Air 1.5.3

This brings me to my next point. The latest version of Adobe Air available for a G5 is 1.5.3 but I want to install "the complete national geographic" which is supposed to require Air 2.0 to install. NatGeo points to a workaround web installer, but I just get an error message: "installation failed". Does anybody know of an old version of "Complete national Geographic" software which will install on a G5? I have these shiny DVDs full of NatGeo data, but I can't install the software necessary to access that data. This is a little frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.