best software for scheduling downloads? (via firefox or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by callagga, Jun 1, 2009.

1. callagga macrumors member

any recommendations on best software to identify items to be downloaded in the browser (say Firefox) and then schedule them for off-peak download times?

2. Randall679 macrumors newbie

Schedule Off Peak Torrent Downloads for Mac

:apple: My ISP offers a 50/50 download split between peak and off peak. I sometimes use up my peak limit just because I couldn't work out how to launch the files in the middle of the night.

The answer was always there! Has Mac ever left anything useful out?

1. Download the torrent file from one of the popular P2P sites ... I use ipodtvnova.com or mininova.com.

2. Open iCal and schedule a New Event for the off peak times for your ISP ... mine is 1am - 7am ... drag the cursor to enlarge the time field to suit ... remember to make it the next day.

3. Click on the New Event and Get Info.

4. Click on Alarm and select Open File. It will default to an iCal file.

5. Click on iCal and go to Other. It will open a window. Find the Torrent file and select it.

6. The Entry will also say 15 minutes before. You can change this to 0.

7. BE SURE TO CLICK DONE ... or you may find the next morning that nothing happened.

You can add several events, meaning additional torrent files. Be sure you have ample storage and that your computer won't shut down or sleep. DO NOT quite iCal, but the settings should remain if you have to restart.

I think you can use this method to launch Limewire or Frostwire, which will resume the download process when the open.

After dicking around for ages with uTorrent and Bit torrent and other attempts to schedule, it was a simple Mac OSX solution in the end.

Happy Off Peaking! :D