best software using a PPC G5 with firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xtempo, Feb 14, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

Anybody know of some good software preferably free that will work on a PPC G5 and it must be able to capture using firewire out of a JVC DVHS HM-DH4000U VCR
    Also need something that I can capture digital audio in and match it to a video.

I was thinking I can use audicaity for audio though Idon't know if it can capture AC-3 Dolby Digital and record the video through firewire and then combine them.

Anybody got any ideas? Cheaply or free if possible or save my money and get either MPC or intel G5. I hate the new mac pro so that is out of the question and it would be overkill anyway.

thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iMovie HD or later should be currently installed on your computer.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I can't get it to recognize the vcr so it can't capture. I have tried a later one it captures but then quits in the middle of recording. Is there anything I can do then?

4. n8mac macrumors 6502

Any time I need to get video/audio off older devices like VCRs and consoles I use my Canopus (AKA grass valley) ADVC 55 converter. It takes composite A/V as well as S video and works well with iMovie HD and Final Cut Pro and Firewire.

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I am more interested in having software than a device at the moment. preferably free software that can see the VCR.

Thanks for the recommendation I'll keep it mind for a later date.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You tried a later what?

7. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

iMovie in iLife 06 and 08. Only the 08 works but it crashes in the middle of recording. I've also tried Final Cut Express 4 which doesn't see it.