Best Solution - 2 Graphics Cards or 1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mctheriot, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Hi,
    I've searched around but can't really seem to find a good answer.

I'm running a 2009 Quad 2.9 unit with 8G of RAM and I've got the standard GT120 board driving a 24" ACD and a 22" Wide-screen HP monitor. I run Aperture on the 24" and Mail, chat clients and EyeTV on the 22". Aperture just doesn't seem happy - I'm noticing delays with it and /or staggering on the EyeTV.

What's the best solution, running two GT120's (a monitor on each) or a single (but better) board?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This seems to be a software issue. I'm also running the GT120. I'm using the MDP with a VGA adapter to run a 46" Samsung HDTV in 1080p. The DVI port runs a Dell in 1600x1200. I have had no issues with EyTV either on the SAMSUNG or the Dell. I would call up the monitor settings in systems setup and check if anything mismatches in the settings of your screens. Try to run them in the native modes if they aren't yet.

3. Frankie. macrumors regular

4. goMac macrumors 603

Aperture is very resource intensive. I'd look at adding at least a second card, and whatever card it is you run Aperture, make sure it's a little more beefy.

IIRC Aperture caches all those thumbnails in VRAM, which could be the cause of your problems. Regardless, stuff like Aperture is hardware accelerated and likes fast cards.

5. mctheriot thread starter macrumors regular

mctheriot

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing the 4870 is the best choice? I don't seen an adapter that would allow me to hookup the GTX 285 to my 24" ACD.

Gugucom, I think it's an Aperture issue. Running EyeTV by itself seems fine. (of course, so does running Aperture!!)

Mark

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yeah, that sounds quite right.