Best Solution for CAD: Bootcamp or VM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eejits, Jan 9, 2014.

1. eejits macrumors member

Hey there guys,

Just got my first iMac and it's a friggin' dream. Love it, I thought I'd have trouble moving from Windows, but it's been simple.

However, I can't leave Windows behind completely as I still have to use AutoDesk Inventor (3D CAD) every now and again. Are there any CAD users out there on Macs and if so, what set up have you used? Have you gone for Bootcamp or VM to run Inventor?

I haven't set up Windows yet so was looking for the best way forward....

(Also what is the best set up for back ups to an external HDD when using both OS's?!?)

Cheers guys and gals,

George

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Inventor is 3D and has GPU support so has to be bootcamp though it only supports Quadro and FirePro. Not sure if like Adobe CS/CC you can patch any config files to use non pro GPU cards like the Geforce though!

3. eejits thread starter macrumors member

Crickey Gav, you had me worried there for a minute (thinking i had a machine that will be no use to me) but I've been running Inventor 2012 on my old windows PC with a GeForce GPU for a wee while now and it's been fine, no problems at all.

Of course, this could go all horribly wrong once I bootcamp my iMac and try and install Inventor.

George