Best solution for capturing music off a web page

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidlv, Dec 5, 2010.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

Any suggestions for an easy to use app to pull music files off a web page?
    The files may be imbeded in a flash box or something else altogether, not sure yet.
    Ambrosia used to have a recording app that worked well way back in the G4 era. Thier new version, WireTap Anywhere now costs 129 smakers! and it's probably far more advanced than what I need.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

2. steveoc macrumors regular

Audio Hijack Pro will do that for $32. It's a pretty handy app to have overall.

3. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Try this, it's free:

Offliberty

I know it works great for youtube to mp3 (it generates a download link very fast and it's great quality)

I don't know how it works for other sites like MySpace or such but it's worth a shot

4. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Any suggestions for an easy to use app to pull music files off a web page?

If you're using Safari, you might be able to "grab it" directly from the page using the "Activity" window.

Do this:
    - Go to the page with the music you want to capture
    - Start the music file you're interested in
    - IMMEDIATELY open the "Activity" window (it's in the "Window" menu)
    - This will display a list of all items on the current page. Scroll down, looking for names that end in "mp3", "wma", "wav", "aif", etc. Often you can get an assist from looking at the file _sizes_, for these will be the larger items on the page.
    - Also, the sound file that's playing will often still be loading. You will see it displayed as something like "1.3 of 4.0mb"
    - When you see the file you want to capture, hold down the Option key and double-click on it. Safari should save it to your "default" downloading location (I prefer the desktop).

This will also work with video files -- YouTube, etc.

It takes a few tries to master this "trick", but you can often capture audio and video without having to resort to 3rd-party solutions.

6. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Fishrrman for the excellant tip. Worked just fine. :):cool:Fish-in-daBag!:cool::)