Best solution for cloud storage of photos for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dba415, Dec 25, 2013.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

Photostream would be perfect...except it's not a cloud storage solution with pictures being deleted after 30 days.

I can use Dropbox or Skydrive but I would prefer to be able to access the photos using the stock photos app that comes with iOS.

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

The stock iOS photo app does not provide full backup to non-Apple service providers. If you want to back up your photos beyond iCloud's syncing service, you will need to use a different app and service.

I use Flickr which is now free. All the photos I uploaded in the Flickr Pro days (when I was a non-Pro user who could only access the last two hundred images) are now available to me in full resolution, etc.

I avoid using Google as much as possible, but I assume Picasa is a pretty good archiving service.

Good luck.

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Shared Photostream are the best for me ... Here's why :

1. 5000 photos/videos limit per Stream
    2. NEVER expire
    3. Web Sharing and also iCloud Sharing to others
    4. Best performance on iDevices plus syncing across all of them
    5. DOES not count towards your iCloud Storage

Link-> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5903

4. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I use Flickr, and turn Photo Streams off because I don't want them wasting my iPhone's storage.

It's dumb how they work, IMO.

If you're not careful, you can quickly fill your device or delete something forever.

Ideally, Apple's service should work like iTunes Match.

OTOH, Flickr offers 1TB of free and permanent storage that lives completely separate from my iPhone.

When I'm done taking a bunch of photos (like today) I'll transfer them to my mac, organize and edit them in Aperture, upload the ones I want to Flickr, and delete them all from my iPhone so I'm ready to go again. It's the same process I've always followed with digital cameras.