Best solution for drag-n-drop DVD creation?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by goodcow, Nov 12, 2009.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

So at work I've been tasked with digitizing our library's 1,000+ VHS collection that's aging and slowly dying.

That's fine, I can do that, I'm going to capture everything into AIC and throw it on a big SAN where the rest of my videos go.

Now what's the best solution for drag-n-drop DVD creation?

We're talking older, non-technical people, who will connect to the SAN, find a video ID and want to burn a DVD of it on demand.

So I just want them to connect, find a file, let's say ID-0001.mov, drag it into something, hit burn and it spits out an auto-play DVD, no menus, nothing complicated, just burn and play.

Ideas?

Thanks.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

There's only one feasible way of doing this IMHO....

Use iDVD ( or Toast or Final Cut's DVD studio pro ) to make an autoplay DVD ( with no theme, or a standard theme you choose for your company) of each film you have, and instead of burning it, save it as ISO image. ( this feature is built in to iDVD ).

This way the ISOs will already be there, encoded and everything. It will dramatically shorten the time to create a DVD.
    Otherwise your customers will go insane waiting for the DVD to author and burn ( Last DVD I authored was 4 hours to encode and burn )

This way will also take up way less disc space since you'll only need to store the encoded assets online and you can take your AIC files offline.
    And since you will control the encoding parameters, you can always make sure the customer will have the highest quality and performance.