Best solution for home networking.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NiKeZz, Jun 24, 2011.

1. NiKeZz, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011

NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

We just moved into a 2 story house about 5 months ago and I'm just moving back from college. My dad already put the wireless router and modem in the office at the one side of the house. Unfortunatly my bedroom resides on the other side of the house upstairs and I cannot connect via WiFi to the router. What is my best options on going about improving the signal upstairs on the other side of the house? Because downstairs on the other side with the bedrooms and bathroom the signal is fair but not great but they can at least connect. I've never lived in a 2 story house until now so I'm not sure what the best way is to go about improving the wifi signal. Right now were using a Lynksis WRT320N. Its the all black one possibly the model before the new silver and black one came out. Anyways like I said what are my best options? We have one of the most expensive internet packages with Cox high speed and I can't connect in my room and I need it in there. Also my parents in the master bedroom have a smart tv, I don't want them to lose their signal on that either.

Here is just a sample layout of what our house looks like, obviously not a blue print but its the only thing I found online that would explain what I'm looking for.
    [​IMG]

2. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

If I move it towards the middle of the basement will it improve my signal upstairs at all?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably, but it's generally with RF the only way you'll know for sure is if you try it. Without knowing more specifics about your house's construction, who knows if/how the signal will change.

4. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Well there is a concrete barricade downstairs incase of tornados. But I don't think the signal is stopped because straight from my room to the office it doesn't hit that concrete.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Concrete is obviously not the only material that affects how RF propagates.

6. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Well I didn't know thats why I'm seeking help. Not knowing whats in the way then, if you were in my position what would you do?