Best Solution for Office on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by King Shady, Aug 28, 2012.

1. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Hey all, student here about to start school. I use Office extensively, but mostly Microsoft Word. I am very familiar with it and have used it all of my life for all my documents and projects. As you all know, Office looks absolutely horrible on the rMBP, what do you guys think is the best solution for me? Thanks

2. defektion macrumors regular

3. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

Thanks, I have iWork, just a bit confused with Pages (but with some videos I'll be familiar with it lol). Is there a way I can automatically have it save documents in word doc format?

4. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

Try this: http://imgur.com/a/0P5KY

It worked for me until I quit Word and re-opened it, but others appear to have had success. I'll try it again at a later date.

5. King Shady, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

Wow will definitely try this. EDIT - Tried it and open in low resolution is now unchecked, but my text is still blurry. Hmm

6. Drask macrumors regular

You have to minimize and maximize word every time you open the application. No bid deal for me, I tried pages, couldn't get used to it.

7. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

Found a better solution for Pages and I'm growing fond of Pages anyways (Office for Mac has always been a joke - and I can't get the damn retina support to work). Thanks for your help anyways

8. dynafrom macrumors member

Learning iWork is a absolute joke if your future major depends on office productivity. Having iWork on your resume is not very boding.

9. lazer155 macrumors regular

What was your solution for Pages? Or was it Microsoft Office's Word? I'm just wondering because LibreOffice, Pages, and Microsoft Word are the only word processing programs that i know of besides text editors which aren't really good for actual office document creation since they are so basic.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Just wanted to add another suggestion. I haven't tried this but it may be worth a shot to try running the latest version of Office for Windows in a virtual machine (Parallels/VMWare Fusion). You can set Windows to run at 2880x1800 with say 150% DPI scaling, which should provide sharp and readable text in Office.

11. xFiGGiE macrumors member

Office is obsolete now, I deleted it off my rMBP. Solution?

www.outlook.com

sign up and use all your Office apps natively online and access them where ever whenever you'd like. ;)

Plus, you get a nice, slick alternative to GMAIL!

12. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

I found a way for Pages to open Word docs and save them automatically without having to export them to word doc format (basically making a copy every time). Pages basically works as a native Word processor now.
    http://www.leefindlow.com/articles/iwork-09-pages-doc-support/

Check that link out! And to the poster about running a virtual machine - I may just try that also! So far, Pages is not bad at all though and is very easy to get accommodated with!

----------

Very true, I will still be using Excel and Powerpoint, but I have Pages pretty much setup to replicate Word, and I always save my doc's as Word doc's so I don't really see the problem. (Though Excel literally looks disgusting on the Retina as does Powerpoint!)

At the end of all of this though... the main question comes into play- Why can't Microsoft just make an update for Office for Mac? They have their own team/division for Mac based software and I know an update for Retina wouldn't be that far off to ask for. I guess the two main points are : Why can't Apple be more Word friendly with Pages, and why can't Microsoft update their damn software!?

13. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

Oh ok!