Best Solution for Office on rMBP

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Princeton, NJ
Hey all, student here about to start school. I use Office extensively, but mostly Microsoft Word. I am very familiar with it and have used it all of my life for all my documents and projects. As you all know, Office looks absolutely horrible on the rMBP, what do you guys think is the best solution for me? Thanks

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Princeton, NJ
You have to minimize and maximize word every time you open the application. No bid deal for me, I tried pages, couldn't get used to it.
Found a better solution for Pages and I'm growing fond of Pages anyways (Office for Mac has always been a joke - and I can't get the damn retina support to work). Thanks for your help anyways

dynafrom

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Learning iWork is a absolute joke if your future major depends on office productivity. Having iWork on your resume is not very boding.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Found a better solution for Pages and I'm growing fond of Pages anyways (Office for Mac has always been a joke - and I can't get the damn retina support to work). Thanks for your help anyways
What was your solution for Pages? Or was it Microsoft Office's Word? I'm just wondering because LibreOffice, Pages, and Microsoft Word are the only word processing programs that i know of besides text editors which aren't really good for actual office document creation since they are so basic.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Just wanted to add another suggestion. I haven't tried this but it may be worth a shot to try running the latest version of Office for Windows in a virtual machine (Parallels/VMWare Fusion). You can set Windows to run at 2880x1800 with say 150% DPI scaling, which should provide sharp and readable text in Office.

xFiGGiE

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
Hey all, student here about to start school. I use Office extensively, but mostly Microsoft Word. I am very familiar with it and have used it all of my life for all my documents and projects. As you all know, Office looks absolutely horrible on the rMBP, what do you guys think is the best solution for me? Thanks
Office is obsolete now, I deleted it off my rMBP. Solution?

www.outlook.com

sign up and use all your Office apps natively online and access them where ever whenever you'd like. ;)

Plus, you get a nice, slick alternative to GMAIL!

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Princeton, NJ
What was your solution for Pages? Or was it Microsoft Office's Word? I'm just wondering because LibreOffice, Pages, and Microsoft Word are the only word processing programs that i know of besides text editors which aren't really good for actual office document creation since they are so basic.
I found a way for Pages to open Word docs and save them automatically without having to export them to word doc format (basically making a copy every time). Pages basically works as a native Word processor now.
http://www.leefindlow.com/articles/iwork-09-pages-doc-support/

Check that link out! And to the poster about running a virtual machine - I may just try that also! So far, Pages is not bad at all though and is very easy to get accommodated with!

----------

Learning iWork is a absolute joke if your future major depends on office productivity. Having iWork on your resume is not very boding.
Very true, I will still be using Excel and Powerpoint, but I have Pages pretty much setup to replicate Word, and I always save my doc's as Word doc's so I don't really see the problem. (Though Excel literally looks disgusting on the Retina as does Powerpoint!)

At the end of all of this though... the main question comes into play- Why can't Microsoft just make an update for Office for Mac? They have their own team/division for Mac based software and I know an update for Retina wouldn't be that far off to ask for. I guess the two main points are : Why can't Apple be more Word friendly with Pages, and why can't Microsoft update their damn software!?