Best solution for VMing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by smc333, Nov 18, 2010.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I have been wondering what the benefits of VMWare Fusion are over VirtualBox. I can't seem to get too much by searching.

I upgraded my Mid-2010 13" MBP to 8GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM HDD. I am a CS student so I would like the ability to run Windows and Linux guests simultaneously. Is there something in Fusion that makes it better? I can get a Fusion license on the cheap, but I would like whatever is really the better performer for doing things like testing software, etc...

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

I use Virtualbox at work all day long and never had a single issue ever for 2 years... colleagues are using Parallels or Fusion and do have issues like Mac lagging, printing/network issues, I'm not saying everybody has those, just that I noticed they get all sort of small issues I have never had.

In my opinion it has to do with all the extra bling (which I think is useless) Parallels and Fusion have combined with W7 or Vista VM.

Virtualbox + Winxp FTW!

3. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Well, that's certainly the cheapest way to do it. :)

Personally, I use Parallels because of the features of the application. If you research reviews of Parallels vs VMware and free solutions, you might come away with the research believing that Parallels is worth the price.

A few days ago, I was using my iMac's virtual machine from my iPad. :) Had to switch resolution to 1024x768 to suit the iPad, but once I did that I was able to do everything I needed to do, just as if I were in the office on my iMac.

4. unixperience macrumors regular

here is a suggestion, try VB its free, get a linux distro... also.. USUALLY free, and give it a try. there's no harm in trying, it's free, just requires some time. if you don't like VB I'm 90% sure that fusion can read the vhd files that Vbox uses so you won't even loose all the settings on your virtual machine if you decide to switch.

I myself use VB and I think it's great I run windows 7 on it on my mac pretty frequently. Sometiems I just leave it on another desktop in spaces and pause it, so if I need it i can jsut unpause it and have instant access.

I have read though that the boot time is a bit faster for fusion. as far as I know if you are using it jsut on your comp (and not on your ipad ha) Vbox is definately a suitable competitor and like I said, it's free!!