Best solution to broadcast HDMI to projector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmaxcom, Jun 15, 2016.

1. nmaxcom macrumors member

I bought an Optoma HD141X that I know connect through an ordinary HDMI cable.

I'd like to hang it from the ceiling, where using the cable would be very cumbersome. I've been researching a bit about WiFi solutions such as Apple TV, Chromecast and so on... and there are so many options that I'm afraid I'll choose something that doesn't work well (lag or whatever) or it's directly incompatible.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Nothing will work as well or be as versatile as a wired connection.

Why not just draw a cable of the appropriate length to a spot where it's convenient to connect your Mac?

3. nmaxcom thread starter macrumors member

Well, that is, of course, an option, but not a comfortable one by a stretch. I should have to get a long HDMI cable and do plenty of ceiling and wall work. Plus, everytime I want to connect the laptop I should have to go to where the other end of the HDMI cable to plug it in and don't move. Hence the question:

With so many dongle and such options, something must work well, right?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- What sort of content are you aiming to show on the projector?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless you intend to be gaming, an Apple TV works quite well.

6. jerryk, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

I suspect you are going to have trouble finding something that will reliably broadcast a signal to a projector.

Solutions like ChromeCast put a dedicated computer in a small package that you attach to an HDMI port. This computer is connecting to your Wifi, pulling down the content, buffering it, and then feeding to the display device (projector) via the HDMI interface.

To me the best idea is a hdmi cable to a dedicated system that you remotely control (like Apple TV), your computer, or an AV rack (this is what I have). Since you are ceiling mounting you will need to run power to the mount for the projector. While you are running the power cable run a HDMI cable and perhaps CAT 5E or 6 cable, depending upon your projector.

Having done home theater several times I can tell you doing it halfway is a bad idea. You get screen flicker or dropped frames and stalls and its not a very good experience.

You might want to post a question on AVSforum (not AVforums) and see if they have ideas. A lot of really dedicated Home Theater people hang out there. Just watch out for your wallet. Some of these guys build entire new rooms dedicated to home theaters