Best sound for gamming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by newmacnooby, Aug 25, 2010.

1. newmacnooby macrumors regular

hi
    i have just purchased the new 27" imac i5quad standard
    and im planning on playing some games but i really want to get the best sound out of it. i also boght some Sennheiser HD-515 but i have read that the osund card that comes with the imac is not that good, so i have been looking at external sound cards and i have xome down to two options:
    a) X-Fi Go!
    b)Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1

il be using them under windows and with headphones always, i have read a ton of reviews but i just dont get all the tech info.

and i just want to know wich on would be better for my needs.

please i really want some nice inmersive an clear sound on my games and movies.

Thaks a lot

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Dont get a USB Soundcard! Just get some USB 5.1 Headphones!

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hmm I got a 7.1 surround sound hooked up to my 17" MBP via the optical audio, works like a charm!

maybe you could get a sound system that has optical input?

4. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

no ofense man but 5.1 headphones are really reeeeaaaaaly bad. fidelity is really crap. i looked at some gaiming headphones but they do sacrifice a lot of quality sound for surround sound.

im sorry i did not specify this but i dont play a FPS i mostly play RPG so i dont need pinpoint sound location i just want some nice quality sound that makes feel in the game.

5. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

that woulb be awsome but i just cant, my imac is going to be in the middle of the living room for some time and having a tv and gaiming is going to be just to noicy (hope thats how you write it). i really need the headphones and they say wonders about this sound cards but im hoping someone has tried them both, and can tell me wich one is better for my needs.

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Oh ok! I have never used and USB sound devices! Was just some advise I use a AstroGaming MixAmp with some Astro A40s connected via optical cable!

7. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

this is going to sound terribly stuppid but........... what does an amplifier does? will it serve my pourpuse?

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I know there are some headphones that use the optical audio for surround, that might be an option. Also a friend of mine has some wireless headphones, they have a USB thing that you stick in your usb.

then there are the wickeder option...
    I read online about some wifi headphones, they just transmit the sound through the wifi, you will of course need an extra pice of software, but then you can be on skype while walking around the house or whatever :p

9. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

no it will not help you really! Well an expensive one could..... but it is not what you want it all

An Amplifier is this

10. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/

I was reading that a digital-to-analog converter can help. I myself, am in the process of hooking up my MB to some Klipsch home theater speakers (just had them left over, just sitting collecting dust now...) for some of my music production. (also have a Roland TD4 drum kit that runs into the MB)

The sound out of the MB is pretty weak, I have to crank the amp way up to get any decent sound levels, so I'm hoping that this little DAC will help out.

Anyone else use one of those?

--rob

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope.

Most surround headphones are crappy due to the cost spread among more speakers.

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I have never looked into usb headphones, it was just an idea! But I assume there are usb headphone around that use the Dolby Headphone Technology to create 5.1, like me ASTROs do! And the virtual 5.1 in my astros is amazing!

13. NeuroEmp macrumors member

My imac is connected to my samsung amp and yamaha 7.1 speakers and it sounds amazing. An amp would be the best option but if thats not possible, then a usb or firewire soundcard.

14. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

yeah those astros are awsome and they look so cool.

ok people lets keep focus :D

have some one tried/ has / borrowed / seen. any of this cars i talk about?

15. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Got the Logitech 7.1 G35's and they are great on the PC. Useless on the Mac mind you