Best source of perfect MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eVolcre, Jun 9, 2008.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

OK Guys - After months of research etc. I've said F-it and am going to buy the MBA. It looks too sexy. I'll figure out my long term plan - sole machine, MacPro, MBP later. For now .. ME WANTS! :)

Here's the issue. I'm currently stationed in Kuwait. I'd be buying the machine online and shipping it to an APO. I'm not going to be back in the USA for another 3 months and need a perfect machine with the least issues.

My choices ...

1. Amazon
    2. Apple Online
    3. Refurbed

I'm trying to find the newest machine from the production line that hopefully doesn't have any problems.

Refurbed might be the logical one, but something in me wants a brand new machine with the nice box.

Advice s'il vous plait ...

eV

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Your best value is Amazon.com.

Apple sells them for $1799 + tax..so depending on where you live, you're coming up on the $2000 mark.

The refurbs are $1549...but with that you get the brown box, and with tax, you're paying close to the original price of the machine.

However, with Amazon, you pay $1749, with no tax, and they offer a $50 rebate, so your total cost comes to $1699:D

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Amazon has been charging tax to ship to my NY freight forwarded so that's a wash. My main issue is to get the newest machine from the production line that hopefully *fingers crossed* has issues ironed out. If it comes down to getting a better tested machine, I guess I can swallow the distaste and get the brown box :-(

Would Amazon have fairly 'new' machines or would they come from old inventory? But price wise - straight from Apple and from Amazon are the same ..

eV

4. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Don't assume refurbished models are better or better tested. When I got my refurbished MBA the trackpad didn't work and needed to be replaced/repaired.

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Looks like it might come down to Amazon vs. Apple online. Apple might have 'newer' models straight off the production line. With this new NY Amazon tax system, the savings have been wiped off. Pity - it's almost USd 200

6. AstroHouse macrumors member

I have a week 5 MBA and have been blessed with a perfect machine. No problems, none, zip, nada. The screen even opens further than it is supposed to.

I tweeked with Coolbook, reapplied the thermal paste. All because I was bored. I haven't seen a cooling boost. But then, I never had core shutdowns ot temp issues to begin with.

I know reading the posts that others have not been as lucky. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Good luck with your purchase.

7. HotAir macrumors member

Perhaps have a friend/relative buy from Amazon and shipped to their tax-exempt location then they ship to you? When it comes to sales tax evasion---as every good citizen knows... gotta be creative! :D

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

A quick update ... I decided I could make do with my MBP for another couple of months. It's too risky to send one internationally. I'll pick it up in person when I come to the States in September. And who knows, might be an update by then :)

eV

9. phatjoe macrumors member

If you're careful, another option is ebay...

There are many reputable sellers on ebay (e.g. 100% feedback after numerous transactions) selling them. I've seen a few auctions close between $1,300-1,450 for a new in box, base model MBA.

It's just another option...

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

No way. Money isn't that much of a consideration. My problem with these 'great deals' is that I don't see how a seller can get a NIB machine from Apple at a USD 400 discount not even accounting for tax. Smells fishy to me

eV

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apple Online - Refurb, still have the one year warranty just like a new MBA. :cool:

12. conchshell macrumors member

i got it from fry's b/c i had 30 day return policy as opposed to apple only giving 14 days

13. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

You can also try macmall.com. By the way, I totally agree with you on the Amazon tax. I'm still upset about it. I bought my iMac from Amazon right before the tax kicked in, but it will probably be the last major purchase I will make with Amazon.

14. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Unfortunately, I have no choice. Pisses me off. I'm living abroad at the moment and my international freight forwarder has a NY address. Is this permanent? I thought they were fighting it and would potentially refund all taxes on purchases if they won the lawsuit.

eV

15. kiwi031 macrumors member

Refurbs

Mate, stay away from Refurbs. I work in a computer shop and refurbs, including apple refurbs, are shocking. We say, you can't fix f.. ked.

Machines get returned for thousands of reasons. Quite often technicians are unable to even find or verify that a problem exists and they'll ship the machine back as it is.

Think about it dude: The definition of refurb is FAULTY, broken, dodgy, dubious-ass machines that some knucklehead has tried to fix. Even if the problem is a faulty monitor or trackpad or whatever, the computer has bits and pieces added to it and has been taken apart etc.

Always go for brand new. It's not uncommon for refurbs to arrive DOA or with the same fault as before.

16. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

They are fighting it, but we don't know what the outcome will be. I'd rather not take the chance. Like I said, for small purchases maybe, but for large purchases I'd rather buy from another site that doesn't charge the sales tax. Did you try macmall.com? They don't charge sales tax as far as I know. Just be sure to check their return policy first.

17. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I use Apple and Amazon about equally. I've had to do returns with both companies and have never had a really bad experience either way. Apple has never charged me a restocking fee even though their policy allows it.